4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2013 6:46 AM by philmodjunk

Calculations

LauraBenton

Title

Calculations

Why is this so hard? 

I have just set up my database with 102 records. I want to have a grand total for the sum of all the values in one specific field from each of the records. I made a trailing grand summary in a table view and made a new calculation field, but none of my attempts of Total = Sum (...) seems to get me the right answer. Help please!

• 1. Re: Calculations
          TKnTexas

I created a test.fm12 with records defined with SDATE and AMOUNT.  I created a Table view layout.  Under Layout Setup>Properties I checked footer.  And I added AMOUNT.sum (my summary field) and it worked.  Re-reading your question, I noted "TRAILING GRAND SUMMARY".  So I changed my footer to that.  I had to expand the column width, but it did display a total.

• 2. Re: Calculations
            SteveMartino

If you're in FM12, did you try clicking the drop down arrow in a field heading in table view, selecting Trailing Subtotals, then Total?  If you get a '?' mark, widen the column.

• 3. Re: Calculations
              IT_User

Try using a summary field instead of a calculation field, and see if that helps.

• 4. Re: Calculations
                philmodjunk

Yes, a field of type summary and with Show All Records to pull all records into your found set will give you a grand total of all records in your table. You may want to look up the sum function in FileMaker Help to see how it is used.