3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2009 2:53 PM by philmodjunk

Calculations for average stock turnover in a month

Supadi3

Title

Calculations for average stock turnover in a month

Dear all,

I am a newbie in filemaker and I have question about calculation for average stock turnover in a month. 

There are two field :

Datefield (contains the month, date, year when the stock was input)

InputQty (contains quantity of stock added)

Would you mind helping me to get the calculations for this.

Many thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Calculations for average stock turnover in a month
          philmodjunk
             Does "stock turn over in a month" represent the total change in number of shares in a month or the total number of shares bought or sold in a month? Or  something else?
          • 2. Re: Calculations for average stock turnover in a month
            Supadi3

I also have another field called OutputQty (Number of stock being sold).  I actually need two calculations which are

total number of stock bought in a month (InputQty) and total number of stock sold in a month (OutputQty).

Thank you so much for your answer.

• 3. Re: Calculations for average stock turnover in a month
              philmodjunk

Presumably, you have a date field in the record that records the date the stocks were bought or sold. Let's call it TransDate for this example.

Let's create a calculation field that marks all records with the same value if the TransDate value falls in the same month. Call it cMonth and set it to return "Date" as it's return type.

Date ( Month(TransDate), 1 , Year(TransDate) )

Now you have two options:

Option1: create a summary report.

Define a pair of Summary fields sTotalOutputQty (Total of OutputQty) and sTotalInputQty (Total of InputQty).

On a list view layout based on this table, create a sub summary when sorted by cMonth and place these fields in that sub-summary part. From here, you have a lot of options depending on what you want to see on your report. You can create a second sub-summary part when sorted by stock ID to cluster stocks by stock ID. In either case, to see the results you want, use a find to pull up the records you want, then sort them by the fields you specified as "sort by" in the sub-summary part set up.

Option 2: Create a calculation field that returns the monthly sub-total whenever the records are sorted by "cMonth".

Get Summary ( sTotalOutputQty; cMonth )

Get Summary ( stotalInputQty; cMonth )