1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 12, 2009 12:39 PM by philmodjunk

calculations on related records

wngiii

Title

calculations on related records

Greetings, 

I'm working with the trial version of Filemaker Pro 10.  Is there is a calculation to find the most restricted value in a list of related records.  For example.  I have an album with 10 tracks on it.  each track is linked to an artist contract which gives us specific right to sell the album in a territory. For example

Track 1 is World Wide

Track 2 is World Wide

Track 3 is World Wide

Track 4 is World Wide

Track 5, 6, 7, 8 & 9 are World Wide

Track 10 is US & Canada only

since that one track restricts the entire albums rights I would like it to automatically default to the most restricted (in this example US & CA).

I've though some sort of value map based on the Territories but don't know if that can be done in FMP 10

Thanks for any help!

Bill 

• 1. Re: calculations on related records
          philmodjunk

Define a value list of custom value and list your differnt text items in order from Most restrcitive to Least.

Now you can use this value list to specify a sort order.

You can do this on a relatiosnhip between tables in Manage | Database so that you can place fields from the Most Restrictive record on your layout. Double-click the relatiionship line and choose the sort option.

You can do this in a portal so that the Most Restrictive Rows sort to the top. Select Sort in the portal set up dialog.

You can do this with a found set of records to sort most restrictive entries to the top as well. Select Sort from the Records menu.

You use the same "sort" dialog in each case. After selecting the text field containing your restriction text, click the Custom order based on value list option and select your value list.