4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2014 1:51 PM by philmodjunk

Calculations screen

JohanBoerema_1

Title

Calculations screen

Hi all,

I'm new to filemaker. I've read most documentation, but I don't know how to solve this. 

I'm building a Filemaker application for a production company. One of the screens in the application is a screen from which they can calculate pricing for a particular client. They have to fill all kind of variables and then the price is calculated.
      To get this I'm creating a form lay-out. But how can I drop database fields on this screen without Filemaker immediately updating them in the database?
      First of all I just need it to calculate and save nothing in the database. Later on some fields will be filled in the database.

Kind regards,

Johan

• 1. Re: Calculations screen
          hbrendel

I'm not clear what you mean exactly. Can you elaborate a bit more?

What is happening? What are you doing and what is FM doing that you don't want to happen?

• 2. Re: Calculations screen
            JohanBoerema_1

Hi thanks for your reply,

I would like to have a screen in which I first select the customer and then FM shows the customer details (address etc.).
            When that's done, I would like to select an item from the items table (non related tables). This is an item that should be produced, but to calculate the price, the sales has to play with some variables. How many meters, set-up time etc. This is default saved with the items, but when the sales is playing around to calculate a good price, I don't want this to be saved in the items table.

The screen has a lot of fields in which the sales can change. After a while he has a good price.

I think I'm also creating a calculation table in which I save al the playing around of the sales. Is that the right way?
            I then create a form with all the fields of the calculation table. I then in the form create a customer dropdown. This dropdown should look in to the actual customers table and then post the choise of the sales in the new calculation table.

Kind regards,

Johan

• 3. Re: Calculations screen
              hbrendel

If I understand you right (not sure) I suggest the following:

Make your 'variable/parameter fields global. Also the calculation result is global.

Make sure the fields are empty when the process starts.

When the user is happy with the result he can click a button. The scripts makes a new record and copies every value to the right field in the table.

Does this help?

• 4. Re: Calculations screen
                philmodjunk

But how can I drop database fields on this screen without Filemaker immediately updating them in the database?
                First of all I just need it to calculate and save nothing in the database. Later on some fields will be filled in the database.

I also cannot quite conceive of what you have in mind here, but I suspect that you are trying to add variable numbers of fields for each project instead of relating each project record to a variable number of related records--the line item entries of a typical product estimate process.