10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2009 7:14 AM by TSGal

Calendar Challenge

mgxdigital

Title

Calendar Challenge

I build a calendar in month, week and daily view. It's working great.

I have created a relationship between my calendar layout and a jobs layout (pulling from a related database)

Somehow I would like to on the month layout: add the number of jobs per day on the corresponding day.

On the week layout: Show all of the job numbers on the corresponding day.

And on the day layout: Show jobs details.

I am having trouble getting the jobs to show up on the calendar. I think that it is because i have the jobs layout showign information from a different database in a "x" relationship, but i'm not sure.

I do not even know where to start troubleshooting. Please help!

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Calendar Challenge
          mgxdigital
             ((bump))
          • 2. Re: Calendar Challenge
            philmodjunk

It would help to more fully describe your "calendar". The devil is in the details.

Other useful info to include in all "first posts":

What version of FMP, FMS

What platform (Mac or windows)

What tables, relationships, field definitions are pertinent to your problem.

• 3. Re: Calendar Challenge
              mgxdigital
                 I have a copy of it. How can I put it on here so that someone can help me out?
              • 4. Re: Calendar Challenge
                philmodjunk
                   You can't. You can post a description to the forum or arrange via private message to email your solution to someone. I'd offer you that myself, but I have to get back to my regular job before my boss nails me for spending too much time having fun with this forum. :smileywink:
                • 5. Re: Calendar Challenge
                  mgxdigital

Aww..Thanks anyways!

It's really complicated and I don't think that i could explain it clearly enough for someone to understand.

Oh well....

• 6. Re: Calendar Challenge
                    TSGal

robin:

Thank you for your post.

You can always post screen shots to a server, and then use a link to display the screen shots.

If you are unsure where to start, I'll take on showing the jobs details on the day layout.

Assuming you are using FileMaker Pro 10, pull down the File menu and select "Manage -> Database...".  Click on the Relationships tab, and you will see a graphical representation of your tables and relationships between the tables.  Click the bottom-left icon to add a new table.  Select the Jobs table, and you will notice a second table occurrence (TO) of Jobs appearing displaying "Jobs 2".  Now, click on the Calendar date field and link it to the Jobs date field.  You are now linked to the Jobs table by date.

On your Day layout, create a portal into the "Jobs 2" table and select the fields you want to display.  Now, go to Browse, and you will see all jobs assigned to that particular calendar day.

This should get you pointed in the right direction.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 7. Re: Calendar Challenge
                      mgxdigital

http://fmforums.com/forum/showtopic.php?tid/202434/post/321373/fromactivity/myposts/#321373

Please take a look at my pictures here and see if this help in determining what I need to do to get the job numbers to show up on the calendar.

Thanks!

• 8. Re: Calendar Challenge
                        TSGal

robin:

Thanks for the screen shots.

I'm assuming the job number is in the "id constant job number" field in the Jobs Calendar table.  Since this is related to Calendar Rows, which is related to Calendar, you should be able to display the "id constant job number" in the Calendar table.  Create a portal into "Jobs Calendar" and display the "id constant job number".  What occurs?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 9. Re: Calendar Challenge
                          mgxdigital
                             Nothing happens. I have the id constant job number in this new db related to the jobnumber in a different job ticket db. I've created a layout that shows all of those job tickets and under edit layou, i have the information pulling from that job ticket db. I can't even get that new id constant job number to show the job number from the job ticket db at all. So if I put the id constant on the calendar layout, it will show nothing ebcause i can't get the job number to show up on the id constant job number from the new db and in the job number in the job ticket db.
                          • 10. Re: Calendar Challenge
                            TSGal

robin:

If nothing happens, then maybe there aren't any records linked for that calendar day.

Let's break it down a little further.

On your "Calendar" layout, place a portal into "Calendar Rows".  Go to Browse.  There should be a few records appearing.

Next, go into the "Calendar Rows" table and place a portal into "Jobs Calendar" to just display the "id constant job number".  You should now see a listing of "id constant job number" records.  Go to one of the "Calendar Rows" records that is displayed in the "Calendar" layout and make sure there is an "id constant job number" listed.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.