13 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2015 2:18 PM by DennisShovelin

Call Me Stupid but I just can't get POPOVER to work

DennisShovelin

Title

Call Me Stupid but I just can't get POPOVER to work

I have worked with Quickbase and Teradata Relational Database but I just can't appear to grasp how popover works like it does in the invoice template for selecting a product.  I want to do the same thing from another table that I have created.  I have looked at this for the past 2 days and just can't get it to work.

I need someone to give help me determine what I am doing wrong.

I just want to display in a portal in a popover the artist names in the artist table and then select one and place it in the field in the invoice data portal.  This is how the add item popover works in the app.  I have copied the same process but I can't make it wok.  It won't even display the records.  I have never had this much trouble relating 2 tables and displaying data.

HELP!!!!!!!!

• 1. Re: Call Me Stupid but I just can't get POPOVER to work
          philmodjunk

That's because, if memory serves to be accurate, this is not just a popover, but a slide control placed inside of a popover. It's by selecting different panels of the slide control--which can be scripted, that you get one popover, but with very different fields displayed in it. To figure out how it is put together, I suggest using Duplicate Layout to make copy of the layout then open the popover in layout mode and try selecting and dragging objects out of the popover to find the different "layers" used to construct it.

Unfortunately, FileMaker deliberately chose to release their starter solutions with virtually zero documentation. (At a recent DIGfm user group meeting, I got to politely point out to them that this was a really bad idea.) If a developer working for me delivered product like this, no matter how well designed in all other respects, I'd consider the project incomplete and hand it back to them with a demand to add in the missing documentation.

For some fully documented examples of using a popover for selecting values, see:

"Adventures in FileMaking #2 - Enhanced Value Selection"

• 2. Re: Call Me Stupid but I just can't get POPOVER to work
            DennisShovelin

Thanks or the response.  I figured some of it out some of it but it took me half the night.  I will look at the other file you mentioned.

Thanks Again for the assistance.

• 3. Re: Call Me Stupid but I just can't get POPOVER to work
              DennisShovelin

I agree with you about the documentation.  When I worked for NCR the documentation for anything I developed was staggering.  Also a complete training manual was required as well.

• 4. Re: Call Me Stupid but I just can't get POPOVER to work
                DennisShovelin

Phill,

I followed the example that you had in the link you sent me.  I mimic, with some changes, the itema popover process.  I am still having one slight problem with this process.

1.  I setup a popover button on my main order entry layout.  It is outside the data portal on that layout. 

2.  The popover appears and the data from a table is displayed in a portal.  I have a button for the data in that portal.  When an item is selected a script is performed that is very similar to your POS select item script.

3.  I set up some variables and I go to the original layout.  The setting of the data in the original portal wasn't getting set so I put a go to portal row into the script.  I has saved in a global variable with the active row for the portal in the original layout.  I watched and the row that the go to portal row is specifying the correct row.  However when I set the data and do a go to for the next field to be entered it does all those on the first row and not the correct row.  Obviously I am loosing focus somewhere but I have no idea how to set it.  I thought I had.

Any help would be appreciated.

• 5. Re: Call Me Stupid but I just can't get POPOVER to work
                  philmodjunk

I have a lot of different examples in that one file. Can you be more specific about which one you tried to use?

• 6. Re: Call Me Stupid but I just can't get POPOVER to work
                    DennisShovelin

It is the POS Select Product script that I  used except I am not creating a new record just trying to update one already created.

Thanks

• 7. Re: Call Me Stupid but I just can't get POPOVER to work
                      philmodjunk

Both "auto-filtering search portals" and "popovers and sliders" are set up to simulate a basic POS system. Apparently you are using popover a) from Popevers and Sliders.

And that control was never designed to modify an existing portal record. Opening the popover changes the focus from the portal row to the popover so the script, as originally written would have no way to know which portal row to modify with the selected data.

I would use a button inside the portal row that used go to object to open the popover located outside of the portal. You can select the popover's panel and give it an object name in order to have a name for your go to object step. I'd then set the script that opens the popover panel from inside the portal row first set a global variable to the primary key value of the portal's record. The script performed when you click a field in the search portal's row can then perform a find on the POS_LineItems layout to locate that record so that it can modify the correct record once the user has selected a value from the PopOver.

• 8. Re: Call Me Stupid but I just can't get POPOVER to work
                        DennisShovelin

I have attached a copy of the script

• 9. Re: Call Me Stupid but I just can't get POPOVER to work
                          philmodjunk

To repeat, this is not how I would do this. And you have two scripts involved, the first captures the ID of the line item record, (not the portal row number) and opens the popover, the other uses data from the selected portal row in the selection portal to update the line item record whose ID was captured in a variable in the first script.

• 10. Re: Call Me Stupid but I just can't get POPOVER to work
                            DennisShovelin

Just to clarify. 

The first script which is below uses a portal to allow for the selection of a product and then adds the line item to the portal on the  layout.  This is working fine.  It sets up a variable named $$ItemRow which is the active row that I am working on.   It sets up a variable $$ItemRow; Value:Get (ActivePortalRowNumber ) ]

After back on the main layout I am still working on the correct portal row. I select another popover button for Artists which display items from the Artist table in another portal.  I select the Artist I want by their name and want to place in the current row I am working on in the main layout.  This is the script I forwarded before.  I set the portal row which it does but it doesn't appear to have focus back to the main layout portal row that I want.  Anything done to the main portal is done in row one so I know it finds its way back but to the wrong portal row.

I know I am missing something about how filemaker works that is causing me this problem. Most other database functions I have figured out but just no this one which seems simple to me. I am doing this for a Artists non profit  Coop that I belong to which is a bunch of retired folks like myself.  I was kinda forced into this because I am the only one who worked as an IT professional and had worked with POS systems and databases.  I really don't want to let them down.

I really do appreciate the time you are spending with me.

• 11. Re: Call Me Stupid but I just can't get POPOVER to work
                              DennisShovelin

Phil Never Mind I missed the previous post where you provided direction.  Naming the Port and going to it worked.

Thanks again for all your help.  I owe you a beer or two.

I just was missing that piece of giving almost everything a name which allows you to go around much easier.

• 12. Re: Call Me Stupid but I just can't get POPOVER to work
                                philmodjunk

But I didn't name the portal and none of my examples interact with portal rows to set data. I avoid that option whenever possible as there are usually simpler options for producing the same result. My scripts either change layouts to work with the portal data on a layout based on the portal's table or use a special "Create relationship" that enables set fields steps to create new related records without changing layouts.

• 13. Re: Call Me Stupid but I just can't get POPOVER to work
                                  DennisShovelin

I agree it is not the best approach.  But it will work for now.  I will do a better approach like you suggest later.  Just needed to get by this to finish the basic data entry piece so that can get started.