4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2011 12:58 PM by ryan9721

Call report from layout using Portal values

ryan9721

Title

Call report from layout using Portal values

Hi all,

I have a database/layout created for customer surveys. Upon selecting a Contact from a dropdown on the layout all of that Contact's past surveys display in a portal.

We like to run a report comparing the scores from the most recent two surveys (previously this was done manually). Can I add a button to the layout that can call a report which compares the last two surveys in Excel format? The format would ideally be as shown below.

Any help in explaining how to do this would be appreciated!

Thanks,

-Ryan

----- Example -----

Questions Recent Survey Last Survey
      Are deliveries on time? 4.5 4.0
      Are you satisfied with our products? 3.0 5.0
      Are you satisfied with our website? 4.0 4.5

Open-ended questions
      Recent Survey
      Describe your recent experiences:
      (text from recent survey goes here)

Other comments:
      (text from recent survey goes here)

Last Survey
      Describe your recent experiences:
      (text from last survey goes here)

Other comments:
      (text from last survey goes here)

• 1. Re: Call report from layout using Portal values
          philmodjunk

By "Excel Format" do you mean having two columns of data here?

I can't really go into detail based on what you have described so far, but it's possible to put a pair of portals to the most recent survey responses to get what you've posted here. Including the open ended questions and answers might be possible via relationships and/or portals that are placed in a footer or trailing grand summary. If you need the fields to slide up to adjust for variable length responses, however, the sliding won't work in such a layout.

• 2. Re: Call report from layout using Portal values
            ryan9721

Hi Phil,

Ideally I would like to actually export this data into an Excel file (not sure if Filemaker can do this). I thought I might be able to do some logic like sort records in the portal by date, select the two most recent, and export their survey data into Excel in the format above.

Thanks!

-Ryan

• 3. Re: Call report from layout using Portal values
              philmodjunk

FileMaker can certainly export data into an excel format file. What confuses me is that your posted example looks nothing like what you'd expect to see in such a file (which is typically a series of rows and columns of data.)

How familiar are you with the Export Records and the options it has? This is a tool you can use manually or in a script.

• 4. Re: Call report from layout using Portal values
                ryan9721

My apologies - I tried to recreate the Excel table quickly using HTML. I've copied and pasted an example Excel sheet (which copied as a table) below.

I am not familiar with Export Records, but maybe that's all I need. I just played around with it and it looks like I can have it export all surveys for a given Customer, so perhaps I just need to apply formatting within Excel once I have the raw data exported.

Thanks!

-Ryan

Customer   Name: Fred Smith

Salesperson Name: Jim Johnson

Date: 1/15/2011

Survey   Results for Smith Brother's Consulting Company
                Survey Method: Phone

Rating   Scale: 5 = excellent, 4 = good, 3 = average, 2 = poor, 1 = fail
                Questions
                Recent Last Comments
                Are deliveries on   time? 4.0 4.5
                Are you satisfied   with our products? 2.0 3.5 Quality is down
                Are you satisfied   with our website? 4.5 3.0
                Recent Survey   Comments

I have been disapointed with the quality of product selection   and late deliveries. Your website has really been improved!

Last Survey Comments

Things have been going pretty well so far. Thank you for your   extra help last month.