4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2012 4:40 PM by PaulSmith_1

Calulating records

PaulSmith_1

Title

Calulating records

I am creating a data base of my customers, currently I have five customers loaded and for each customer I need a differnet service due date. When I create the calulation though it effects each of my customers the same. Can I accomplish this using this program (currently using the trial version). Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Calulating records
          philmodjunk

Please share the calculation you are trying to get to work and what results you need. Have you created 5 records, one for each customer?

• 2. Re: Calulating records
            PaulSmith_1

No I have one record, with 5 customers. Each customer will have his\her own service due date, currently expressed by date. Example the 3rd customer just had a service call 3-7-12. The next service date for him is in 40 days. My 5th customer has service calls every 30 days. I have a total of 77 customers, just using 5 customers while I test drive the program. In reading the help file I believe I need to have individual records for each customer, is that correct. Thanks for the response.

• 3. Re: Calulating records
              philmodjunk

Yes you should have individual records for each customer. To add a 6th customer then becomes simply a process of adding a new record--a simple menu choice. Compare that to what you'd need to do to add enough fields to have 77 customers in one record.

The service call date such as 3-7-12 should be entered in a field of type date. A number field can record the service interval of 30, 40 or however many days you need. A Next date of serivice field can be set up as a calculation field with this expression:

Service Call Date Field + Service Interval Field

Select Date as the return type for this calculation.

Note that as you learn more about how to do this, it will be possible to use a related table of service calls to keep a record of each service call made to each of your customers and be able to see and work with a list of such records from your customers layout.

• 4. Re: Calulating records
                PaulSmith_1

It took me a bit to get it but I understand... Thank you very much for your help... I am sure I will have other questions as I test drive this program...again thanks