Where do you want to display the totals from, in which Table? i.e. from the Donations table itself, the Contacts or somewhere else?
If you want to see a grand total of all donations made, from the context of the Donations table, you can create a Summary field in your Donations table, and specify the Amount field, this will total the Donations for all records in your found set.
You create a summary field as you do any field, but specify teh Type: as Summary and then in the Options dialog you make sure "Total of" is ticked and select your Amount field.
Then you can put this on your layout and show all records to see the total.
You can do a count of records by going through teh same process but specifying "Count of" instead of "Total of" and selecting a field that always has a value, like the Unique ID.
Let me know how you get on with this.
you can get the total of a portal with a calc field:
sum( relationship_of_portal::amount )
If you dont want to use portals simply use a summary field, type SUM.
Hi I was able to create a total button that gives me the total that I entered in as the last donation. It didn't total the two donations.
Of the three areas I want to be able to add donor information date & amount of a donation. The portal option doesn't work although I can add a donation amount it doesn't total for me and the other fields don't reflect at total.
So I am back at square one.
Is there a way I can copy this page an post it for you to see?
Yes, you can post the page on a server, and then include the link in your post.
I don't really know. I created a page with three sections one for each table. Donor; Donation; and Contact.
All three are displayed on 1 page. In the Donation section I want to put totals, averages, number of donations and be able to add multiple donations from a single donor. For example if you gave me 4 donations over the last three months I want to enter that information on this page and see the total of your donations as well as the total number of donations.
I am sorry but I don't have any idea how to do that.
I have sent you a private message (top of this page - right side - X Messages) with instructions where to send your screen shots.
I received your screen shots.
I didn't receive a screen shot to where you enter multiple donations from a single donor. I'm assuming this is on another layout.
In the current layout you sent, since there is only one donation for each Donor ID 000001 and 000002, the total donation will be the same as the current donation. If you are trying to get a total for all donations, then you need to define a Summary field that Totals the Total Donated field.
Since I didn't receive information of the other layout, I'll assume you are entering the multiple donations in another layout. Can you tell me more how that is set up? Is there a portal being used to add the records? Or, are you going directly into the Donation table to enter the data?
I have no other layout. I wanted to be able to enter multiple donations on this page and then perhaps create another page or layout to should all donations.
But I wanted to know how much each individual donor has given and how many donations etc.
Does that help?
Thank you for the clarification.
1. Pull down the View menu and select "Layout Mode"
2. On the left border are several tool icons. Click on the icon just below the oval tool. This is the portal tool. On your layout, draw a box by clicking down, and dragging diagonally. When you reached the size you need, let go. A new dialog box will appear prompting you to show related records from a table. Select the Donation table and click OK. A new dialog box appears prompting for fields you want displayed from the Donation table. Select "Date of Donation", "Donation" and "Donation Type". Click OK, and your portal is now showing with those fields.
3. Pull down the File menu and select "Manage -> Database" and click on the Relationship tab. You should see the line connecting the Donor table to the Donation table. There is an icon between those two tables. Double-click the icon, and a dialog box appears to edit the relationship. On one side will show the Donor table, and the other side will display the Donation table. Below the Donation table, be sure to check the option "Allow creation of records in this table via this relationship". Click OK and return to the layout.
4. Pull down the View menu and select "Browse Mode".
You will now see the related record in the newly created portal. Below that entry, you can enter the next donation. and the next one.
Let me know if this gets you closer to what you want to do.
I'll give it a try!
I did what you asked and I get a window showing each donation, date of donation. I don't have a field that tells me how many donations or what the total of donations would be. On the form I sent you I have those fields at the bottom on the left side but they don't total the amount of donations or number of transactions. There's a better word - transactions.
I wanted to take this one step at a time. That is, I wanted to make sure you could enter multiple donations.
Now, to get the total of donations, do the following steps:
1. Pull down the File menu and select "Manage -> Database".
2. Click on the Fields tab, and make sure you are seeing the fields in the Donor table. If not, then at the top left of the Fields list, select the Table "Donor".
3. For Field name, enter "Total Donated".
4. On the same line, to the right there is a Type pop-up. Change the pop-up to read "Calculation".
5. Click the "Create" button. A new dialog box, "Specify Calculation" appears. In the upper-left quadrant is a listing of fields from Donor. At the top of this list, there is a pop-up option that says "Current table ("Donor" ) ". Click on this and change it to the Related table "Donation". The field listing will now change to those fields from "Donation".
6. In the upper right quadrant is a listing of calculation functions. Scroll down until you see "Sum". This listing is in alphabetical order, so it is fairly far down the chain.
7. Double-click on the Sum function, and in the bottom part below the field listing, you will see:
Sum ( field (; field...) )
with the inner part highlighted. Leave this alone.
8. From the Fields list above, double-click on the "Donation" field. Your calculation in the lower part will now read:
Sum ( Donation::Donation )
9. At the bottom of this window, there will be a pop-up next to "Calculation result is". Make sure this is set to "Number".
10. Click OK to the calculation formula, and click OK again to return to the file.
11. Pull down the View menu and select "Layout Mode".
12. Along the left border are icons of tools. Click on the Field tool and drag it just below the portal. When you let go, you will be prompted for a field. Select "Total Donated".
13. Pull down the View menu and select "Browse Mode". You will now see the total donated for the related records.
To do the number of transactions, do the same steps above, but instead of using the Sum function, use the Count function.
Let me know how this works.
Yes that seems to work. Is there a way to change the border color of the Portal?