2 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2011 4:53 PM by LaRetta_1

CampGirl

MemrieCox

Title

CampGirl

I need help. I have a layout with many fields that keep data separate (money amounts for shirts, DVDs, cost of event, etc...) but I need to run something - a new layout? a report? - that will add each column (field) and total it at the bottom. I have been trying for several hours to figure this out from the tutorial material and the forum, to no avail. I think the biggest problem is terminology. I don't understand some of the terms (summary report, subsummary report, summary field, ...) so I don't know until I experiment if it's what I need or not. So far everything I've attempted has NOT been what I need. I'm just trying to do a simple report to show how much money we collected in each category (field). I hope someone can help me! THANKS!

• 1. Re: CampGirl
          shudder

Hi Memrie --

Go to the File menu and select Manage... Database;
          Name a new a field sDVDs;
          Under the Type sub-menu, select Summary;
          In the following Options dialog, leave the radio button at "Total of" and select your DVDs amount field from the Available Fields list;
          Click OK to finish the dialog;
          Click OK to leave Manage... Database

You've just created a Summary field called sDVDs (note the lower case s I had you place in the name -- this easily identifies this field as a summary field for you when you're working with it on your layout).  This new field will add up the values in your DVDs field (based on found set -- if you are showing all records, all will be added up; if you are showing a found set, only the found set will add up)

Is your layout set to View as List?  If so, place your new sDVDs field into the Footer, and when you go into Browse mode, note that the new field now adds up all the values from your DVDs field from the records showing.

Does that help?  You can do the above for all your amount fields, and place them all into your Footer, and you will see all the various values added up!

- shud

• 2. Re: CampGirl
            LaRetta_1

Hi Memrie,

"I have a layout with many fields that keep data separate (money amounts for shirts, DVDs, cost of event, etc...) ... that will add each column (field) and total it at the bottom."

These items should be records and not fields.  You then add a Type field (whether DVD, stock, EventCost etc).  You then create a sub-summary report grouped by Type.  With this structure, one single summary field called sTotalAmount placed in the leading or trailing part (based upon this Type) will produce the proper totals for the found set.