1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 9, 2009 7:48 AM by TSGal

Can a Filemaker file be shared between two Macs on a Local Network Using IWP?

bee13

Title

Can a Filemaker file be shared between two Macs on a Local Network Using IWP?

Can a Filemaker file be hosted on one Macintosh and accessed by a second Macintosh via Instant Web Publishing by way of a local adhoc wireless airport network (i.e. disconnected from the internet and talking to one another through a locally established airport network)?

When connected to the internet, the second Mac can easily see and edit the database on the host Mac with no problem but I haven't been able to get the setup to work over a local network using Instant Web Publishing (IWP) and the Safari browser on the guest computer.

The two machines will be sharing a file during a personnel processing procedure conducted at a local fire station and I doubt I will be able to access their internet gateway because of department IT restrictions disallowing outside computers into their network. Hence the expected need to local network between the computers.  Obviously, I'd prefer it if we running separately licensed copies of Filemaker on both machines and could therefore manipulate the database directly and avoid this whole issue but I was looking for a poor-man's alternative that uses Instant Web Publishing, only on a local network, not the internet.

I am using FM Pro 8.5 and two, one-year old MacBooks running OS 10.5.6.

Thanks,

DON