1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 19, 2010 4:56 PM by philmodjunk

Can a layout contain other layouts, just like Access forms contain subforms?

wladdy

Title

I am migrating from Access to Filemaker and I have the following question.

I have a database with three tables: 'Days', 'Shows' to record performances given on various days and 'Acts' to record the various acts making up each performance. There is a one-to-many relationship from Days to Shows and another one-to-many relationship between Shows and Acts.

I want to browse through all the levels of the hierarchy within a single layout.

In Access, I have a form for Days containing a subform for Shows. In turn, the subform for Shows contains a subform for Acts. Each of the three forms has its own navigation buttons and record addition button. When I move from one Day to another, the subform Shows displays the first show for that day and the sub-subform Acts displays the first act of that show. If I move to another Show within the Same Day, the sub-subform Acts display the first act of that other show (when I say 'first', I refer to pre-specified sorting criteria within each table).

This system does not only filter when I browse, but also when I create records. Indeed, if I add a new record in Act or in Show, its foreign key field content will be automatically by populated to match the primary key field content of its parent.

I assume that I could get similar results in FileMaker Pro 11, but it appears to me that FM portals cannot have subportals. Furthermore, portals seem to be restricted to list mode (as opposed to form mode). Finally, it seems impossible to create a a new record from within a portal.

Is there another tool that I should use? Is my three-level-form approach inherited from Access preventing from seeing layout paradigms specific to Filemaker?

Any help or direction would be much appreciated.

• 1. Re: Can a layout contain other layouts, just like Access forms contain subforms?
          philmodjunk

You are correct that Subforms/subreports are called "Portals"in FileMaker.

You can't, however, put a portal inside another portal though you can use portals in a list view--which you can't do in Access so each system has its strengths and weaknesses.

You can resize the rows of a portal to any size you need and specify any number of rows for display. Thus, you can get a form view style portal by resizing the portal row to make it taller and specifying only one portal row.

Also keep in mind that you can place fields from related tables inside a given portal. Thus, you may be able to make a portal to Acts that includes fields from Shows. Other times you can use a script synchronized "detail" portal next to another portal. Selecting a record in the first portal triggers a script that pulls up related records in the detail portal.