3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2012 12:18 PM by philmodjunk

Can a tab label be a calculation?

DavidAbrams

Title

Can a tab label be a calculation?

I have a table containing several tabs which contain various types of graphics and are labeled "Photos", "Drawings" and "CAD". Each tab contains between 0 and n graphics. I have fields which count the number of graphics under each tab. I would like to have this number appear in parentheses in the tab label itself. For example, if there are 2 photos I would like the tab label to be PHOTOS (2). This way, one could see how many graphics are under each tab without having to go to the tab itself. This can easily be done in the body using a calculation, but can a calculation be used to create a tab label?

• 1. Re: Can a tab label be a calculation?
          philmodjunk

It's a bit tricky as I recall to get things aligned just right, but I think you can use blank tab panel labels and then place your calculation field (or merge text containing calc field or a variable) on top of the blank tab label.

• 2. Re: Can a tab label be a calculation?
            DavidAbrams

That was a really great idea, but it does not work. The calculation field is only visible when you are actually on the tab itself. If you are on any other tab, the tab label appears blank. Sigh.

• 3. Re: Can a tab label be a calculation?
              philmodjunk

Now that I remember this issue, that's what I meant by you have to get it aligned "just right". Click the field and grab the selection handles to resize the field so that the borders of the field extend at least one pixel past the top boundary of the tab control. This is to keep them from being "owned" by a tab panel--which causes them to pull a disappearing act when different tabs are selected. You can set alignment on the inspector's appearance tab to make sure your text aligns with the bottom border of your field.