1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 13, 2015 1:52 PM by philmodjunk

Can any of you smart people explain this?

RaySeligman

Title

Can any of you smart people explain this?

TI have been using FileMaker since the day it  came out approxima tely 30 years ago. I am currently running Filemaker Server 11 on a Mac Mini running 10.5.6. Has run beautifully for years with absolutely no problems. We have approximately 10 users logged in. None have had any problems at all until approx,. 4 weeks ago. My machine on my desk is a Mac Mini running 10.10.2 and I have had no problems whatever logging into the remote server in the office. In the last 4 weeks when I open filemaker and click on "Remote" or indeed anything all I get is a spinning wheel. But I do have a very small, do nothing FM file on my desktop. When I double click that from the desktop FM opens and I can then go under "File" to "open remote" and I see the remote and can open it and everything is fine. EXCEPT when I go to enter a new record the program is looking for an old "attached?" file that we have not had for probably 15 years. We have always just hit "Cancel" and it allows me to enter the new record. Now when I try to open a new record it just gives me the spinning ball and it just sits there. So I can modify records that are currently on the server but I can't create a new one. Obviously that is a big problem. No one else has the problem. Any suggestions? I don't recall adding any new software to my machine but it's not impossible that something is conflicting. Sorry for writing such a book but I figure out if this group can't come up with a guess, no one can. 

• 1. Re: Can any of you smart people explain this?
          philmodjunk

Report an Issue is probably a better place to post this.

Several things that you can try to see if they make a difference.

Get a local copy of the file. Will it open?

You've indicated that you get a dialog asking for a missing file. If you open manage | External data sources, you should be able to find and remove that external data source reference and then this dialog will no longer appear. That is unlikely to fix your problem but does reduce the number of possible issues by one.

Try recovering a copy of your file, put the recovered copy up on the server unless recover does not recommend using the recovered copy and see if it has the same issue.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

While Recover almost always detects and fully corrects any problems with your file...

1.           The recovered copy may behave differently even if recover reports "no problems found".
          3.           Recover does not detect all problems
          5.           Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
          7.           Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.

And here's a knowledgebase article that you may find useful: What to do when your file is corrupt (KB5421).