2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2010 5:34 AM by grnrvrchoc

Can Bento be used as an external data source in Filemaker 10 Pro?

bewing

Title

Can Bento be used as an external data source in Filemaker 10 Pro?

I want to access information from my Email using a message list I already have in Bento, but I cannot recreate it in Filemaker.  I would also like to drag and drop related pdf files, word docs etc to an other repository in Filemaker Pro database and view it like through a portal.  AnySuggestions?

• 1. Re: Can Bento be used as an external data source in Filemaker 10 Pro?
          TSGal

bewing:

Thank you for your post.

FileMaker Pro does not integrate directly with an Email application.  Looking on our web site for third-party developers, I see 360works.com makes an Email plug-in.  Perhaps others on this forum can offer a possible solution to access Email messages from FileMaker Pro.

You can definitely insert PDF files and Word docs into a Container field.  In Bento, you manually linked a record from another Library to the current Library.  In FileMaker Pro, two tables cannot be manually linked.  You need some kind of "key" field to link the two tables together.  In your second table, create the "key" field and a Container field to place your files.  If the portal is set up correctly, you can insert files into the portal and have them link to the current record in the other table.  Does this make sense?

If you need clarification for any of the above steps, please let me know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Can Bento be used as an external data source in Filemaker 10 Pro?
            grnrvrchoc

I am using the MailIt plugin to send mail but also have a client who has used Bento and loves the drag and down email feature for a contact table. Has anyone built something like that?

Thanks