When printing, saving as PDF or in Preview mode, FileMaker can shrink fields, but not expand them. This often requires designing a layout separate from your data entry layout where you resize fields to be many times taller than you normally need and then set them to "slide up" ; "resize enlcosing part".
Key facts about sliding layout objects:
- It's only visible in preview mode and when you print/save as PDF...
- All layout objects below and in the same layout part as the slide/resize field need to also be set to slide up and resize.
- Objects in headers and footers will not slide.
- Portals will shrink/slide to fit the number of rows of records, but fields within the portal row will not shrink/slide.
- Consistent side borders are difficult to achieve with sliding fields.
I may not be describing it correctly. There are several databases from filemaker that i open up and it is in the regular layout for entering data. And if you adjust the window size (it is usually one or two fields) the fields will move to the size of the window. It doesn't keep going it stops at a certain point. I have a DVD called "filemaker Training Series" and there is a file called FTS Meetings and when I open it and adjust the window there is even a portal that adjusts and two fields that adjust as I change the size of the window and I can click in field and input data. Anyways, it looks very cool and I was wonderin if I can do that with FM 10.
Getting fields to stretch or re-position when the window is resized is controlled by "anchors" you can set in the Auto-resize section of the Object Info palette in version 10 and on the inspector's position tab in version 11.
Very nice, Thank you.