4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2009 10:04 AM by philmodjunk

Can FileMaker do ...

MstrPBK

Title

Can FileMaker do ...

Currently on FMP Advaced 8.5 (soon to be moving to 10.x.

As far as I know in the past ... FileMaker Pro has been able to do what I call 'absolute value' finds.  As in Feild X = value.  What I need is a find referance where the: Does [calculated feild name] = value.  An theortical example might be:

if [feild name being "P"&35+9] = 1

Then x process .... 

Has FM developed far enough so that users can import scripts from text files? I hae no insterest in typing by hand several 1000 sets of find statements.

It also might be nice to have clickable polygon 'hot zones' rather than just circles and squares.

Peter Kelley 

St. Paul, MN USA

• 1. Re: Can FileMaker do ...
          littledog

Yes.

But why you use 1000's of Find statements? 

• 2. Re: Can FileMaker do ...
            MstrPBK

Pause .. so then what is the correct syntax to call a calulated feild name; or did I just do it in my example with out knowing it or is there still another twist  I need to consider before the process to work.  I have never done this before and would like to make sure that I get it half decently right to begin with.

As for why I am doing this I am trying to do a prototype of mapping system; to do this totaly right I would need formal programming training (which is not far away). I have a long way to go but it has been evolving in my head for some time.

Peter Kelley

St. Paul MN USA

• 3. Re: Can FileMaker do ...
              comment_1

This part is not quite clear:

MstrPBK wrote:

if [feild name being "P"&35+9] = 1

Then x process .... 

If this is a calculation, it can be done using the GetField() function. If you mean a true find, it can be achieved in version 10 using the Set Field By Name[] script step.

MstrPBK wrote:
              Has FM developed far enough so that users can import scripts from text files?

No. But have a look at myFMbutler Clip Manager.

MstrPBK wrote:

It also might be nice to have clickable polygon 'hot zones' rather than just circles and squares.

See http://fmforums.com/forum/showpost.php?post/32211/

• 4. Re: Can FileMaker do ...
                philmodjunk

Two other options for moving scripts from one Filemaker Pro file to another.

You have the option to import scripts available in Script Manager. There are limitations due to scripts being layout specific, but it still saves a ton of typing.

You can copy a script or portion of a script from the script editor and paste the script steps into a different script editor window--this is especially useful for moving portions of scripts from one script to another.