2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2011 7:15 PM by RonaldKobra

Can filemaker do this...

scotty476_1

Title

Can filemaker do this...

<!--            @page { size: 8.5in 11in; margin: 0.79in }           P { margin-bottom: 0.08in }        -->

Hello I am considering purchasing filemaker but I would like to see if it could do the following.

I work for an investment management firm and manage client portfolios. Each position in the portfolio has a value or weight. I can find out the breakdown of the individual positions (mutual funds, etfs, etc.) by sector, region, etc. from another data source.  I would like to merge the data together and be able to look at the breakdown of the portfolio by sector, region etc by knowing the breakdown of the indiviual investments. So there would have to be some sort of weighted calculations in order to find out how the portfolio is allocated.

I hope this makes sense. Is this possible to do in filemaker?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Can filemaker do this...
          TSGal

scotty476:

Thank you for your post.

Yes, this can be done.  The most difficult part is setting up your database tables.  Since one client can have many positions, and one position can have many clients (hence, what is called a many-to-many relationship), a third table is needed to keep track of the portfolios.

In the portfolio table, there would be a ClientID linked to a particular client, a PositionID linked to a particular position (stock, fund, etc.), and probably the date purchased, purchase price, amount invested, etc.

In addition, you will have some calculations that add up the portfolio for each ClientID, and some calculations to divide the sector by the total portfolio.

If you haven't worked with FileMaker Pro previously, download the 30-day trial version from our web site and start to create the tables and try to link them.  This will give you an idea whether it will work for you.

Let me know if you need clarification for any of the above steps/concepts.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Can filemaker do this...
            RonaldKobra

Is there a way to set up live feed (from yahoo finance or google finance) to get live changes of stock prices?