1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 21, 2011 9:49 AM by philmodjunk

Can Filemaker do what I need, advise please.

JoshHyman

Title

Can Filemaker do what I need, advise please.

Hi folks,

I am considering purchasing filemaker pro for a show that I am working on at the moment.

I will take the time to describe what I ultimately need the program to do...

The first part is a performer database with personal information, contacts, address and costume sizes etc.

The next part is a show database that will be form based, printed each day over about 17 pages and change with each show, if you imagine manylayouts of a stage with field boxes that represent a performers position in each act, when a performer is in a position we will use a value list to select and display their name, there are 17 acts in total and around 20 positions in each act. Each one of the 70 performers can do every position in every act so I guess that each show day would be a record and each position would be a field (around 340 fields in total).

The next part is where things get a little tricky, I would like the show database to relate back to the performer database so that for each performer we would get a record of each position performed each day, stored in the performer database. Ideally we could then look at performer X on day Y and see which fields there name appeared in the show database.

I also need the fields in the show database where the performers names go to hold two different number weightings as I need to calculate a percentage of total show performed and the danger level performed at. Basically at the end of the day I would like to be able to print out a list of performers names and percentages of acts performed within a show.

Sorry if this is unclear, but any recommendations you have would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Josh

• 1. Re: Can Filemaker do what I need, advise please.
          philmodjunk

FileMaker can be set up to do everything you describe, but can YOU do it with FileMaker? That's not a question we can answer as we have no idea how much prior knowledge and experience with database design you can bring to such a project. The data model you'd need to set this up is unlikely to be something a person new to database design can easily set up by themselves and it's unlikely you can find a ready made solution for this--but you never know until you do some web searching. Be prepared to invest significant time in learning how databases should be designed and in how to use FileMaker.

FileMaker 11 is available as a free 30 day trial that you can download, so you may want to download it and play around with it a bit to see if you can figure it out.