1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 7, 2011 10:50 AM by philmodjunk

Can FileMaker offer me a solution?

MichaelfWatt

Title

Can FileMaker offer me a solution?

Hello! I'm wondering if FileMaker can assist me.

Our company site has 1000 product pages... all built in static HTML (no database). Yes, I realize that in this age it's ludicrous. We are on standby to join a global company site so at the moment the company doesn't feel it worthwhile to invest in a CMS.

We would like to add two pieces of data into each product page (into an HTML table).

1. product price2. a link to PDF containing information on hazourdous materia, aka: MSDS sheet

These prices would then change each fiscal year. Rather than copy-paste the data by hand into each product page, is there any way to integrate FileMaker to allow an Excel price sheet to update all of the product pages at once?

Would there still be manual work needed to insert some kind of tag that FileMaker can read into each product page?

Would Filemaker allow a customer to make a search in our website by product number thus displaying the product price?

Thanks for your time!

• 1. Re: Can FileMaker offer me a solution?
          philmodjunk

You certainly could use an Excel file and then an Import Records action to import the data, but from here, I don't see the advantage to just making the changes you would manually make to the Excel file directly to a table view of your data in FileMaker instead.

You can also keep the prices in a separate table with effectivity dates to insure that a view of your product data shows only the prices that are current, but a review of your pricing table shows past and future prices--which can then be charted or otherwise subjected to statistical analysis if that might be useful to you.