5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2010 12:58 PM by philmodjunk

Can FileMaker Task a Field?

MSASC

Title

Can FileMaker Task a Field?

I use Filmaker Pro 7 on a Mac Powerbook G4 Mac OSX 10.5.8

I would like to make more efficent use of my current database. Currently I use my data base to log my customers contact information and notes about the appointments I have. Very simple not very complex. I have seen the product ACT!. and I like the tasking feature where the program will send you an alert to contact someone on a certian day.

How could I incorporate this feature into my database. I currently use a field called "next Contact" in which I manually put in the date in which i want to call the particular company back, but I have to remember to "Find" these companies each day.

It would make my life much easier if I could have my current database formulate these into a daily excel sheet for review or have an email sent to myself or blackberry with a list of companies I tasked myself to call.

Can this be done with my current version or even the new version? Feedback would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Can FileMaker Task a Field?
          philmodjunk

If you open your database every day, you can set up a script that finds and presents (or emails) a list of such records. You then use File options to set up this script to run every time the file is opened.

• 2. Re: Can FileMaker Task a Field?
            aammondd

Phil 

Would this be installing an on timer script? if say you wanted alerts on the hour etc.

• 3. Re: Can FileMaker Task a Field?
              MSASC

is this script something I could find and learn or would it be best to call a consultant? Not the best with this type of stuff.

Thanks for responding I appreciate it.

• 4. Re: Can FileMaker Task a Field?
                Mystick

in one of my filemaker program, I did a VBScript that creates the appointment inside the outlook calender of the user, so they can have the remainder and all other functionalities with outlook and the information about the appointment was initiate by filemaker.

• 5. Re: Can FileMaker Task a Field?
                  philmodjunk

aammondd wrote:

Would this be installing an on timer script? if say you wanted alerts on the hour etc.

No, that's a different approach that can also be used. I'm imagining that this would be run once a day. (You can build sufficient intelligence into such a script so that it only runs once a day even if the file is closed and opened several times in one day.)

I'd consider using an On Timer script if the database stayed open on the client machine 24/7 or if an hourly alert was needed.

If a file is hosted on the server, you might even be able to user a server schedule for this--though we'd have to check script compatibility first and you can also set up a "Robot File" with an OS task scheduler to do this on a regular basis as well.

"is this script something I could find and learn or would it be best to call a consultant? Not the best with this type of stuff."

Well I always keep an eye out for the chance to earn a few extra dollars as a consultant. :smileywink: So if you want to pursue that option, feel free to click my forum name and send me a private message.

Whether you can do this yourself depends on how fancy you want to get, your skill level and how willing you are to spend time figuring it out and posting back here or to other forums with questions if you encounter a problem. One very simple approach you may want to consider is to just set up a portal in a layout you frequently visit that lists all such "attention needed" records. Unlike the scripted approaches discussed here, this list would be an "up to the minute" list of all such records.