3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2010 1:19 PM by philmodjunk

Can FM Pro 11 do this?

KevinGubala

Title

Can FM Pro 11 do this?

Hello and thanks in advance for any answers.

I am new to Filemaker Pro and this database product was recommended by the Apple Store for use.  I am looking for FM to be able to provide me with an inventory screen with a picture to view on iPod Touches (potentially iPads) using FileMaker Go.  I already have the database portion in development and the FileMaker Go product (on an iPod Touch) working, in other words, I can view the records on the iPod Touch.

What I'm looking for the whole solution to do is to be able to select records, assemble them into an order, and send that order to a printer.  Can FileMaker Pro do all of this and how difficult should it be to accomplish?  FileMaker seems to be a pretty neat package, but before I buy it, I want to know if it will do all of this stuff and not take me years to finish it.  I work in retail and need this solution prior to the holiday season.

• 1. Re: Can FM Pro 11 do this?
          philmodjunk

Yes, but can you do it with FileMaker? Depending on your skills and experience, you may need to invest time and money in tutorials or a book on the subject to learn more about databases in general and FileMaker in particular.

Filemaker Go is a brand new product and users are still working out how best to use it. You might read through the posts in the Filemaker Go section of this forum, if you haven't already, to get a feel for what you can and can't do with it.

• 2. Re: Can FM Pro 11 do this?
            KevinGubala

Thanks PhilModJunk.  I have been trucking through the product for the last few days getting a database set up and so far it's not that bad.  Got the inventory from the AS400 loaded, the product codes and descriptions and images loaded and all relations set-up properly.  It all displays really nice on the iPod Touch through Go and like most developers will say, "take baby steps" which I have.

I'm going to continue working with the trial period to see if I can get the order portion figured out within the next week.  I think I should be able to figure it out and if so, FileMaker will have another customer.

• 3. Re: Can FM Pro 11 do this?
              philmodjunk

Here's a simplified Invoicing demo created by another Forum member, Comment, you may find useful:  

http://fmforums.com/forum/showpost.php?post/309136/