2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2011 5:40 PM by LaRetta_1

Can I change a field's calculation equation without affecting the existing results?

leonhart1981

Title

Can I change a field's calculation equation without affecting the existing results?

I have a data base called products with auto enter serial number turn on.

Currently, I have a calculation field with a fixed equation but I'm afraid that this equation may be changed in the future.

So, I'm wondering if it's possible to change the equation without affecting the existing value?

Say that I have 100 of records (serial number 1~100) with the current equation, and now I want to change the equation starting from serial number 101. Is it possible for me to change the equation but keep the calculation result unchanged for searial number 1~100 ?

• 1. Re: Can I change a field's calculation equation without affecting the existing results?
          raybaudi

Case(
          serial number < 101 ; YourCurrentEquation ;
          YourNewEquation
          )

• 2. Re: Can I change a field's calculation equation without affecting the existing results?
            LaRetta_1

"So, I'm wondering if it's possible to change the equation without affecting the existing value?"

If you need the field to hold the value to maintain history then it should not be a calculation but rather a standard field.  If this is correct then you have two considerations ... what to do with existing data and what to do with future data.  This is often used with Invoices where the customer address might change over time but the address at the time of shipment must be preserved.

Hard-coding by the serial number < 101 doesn't improve the situation - it only hard-codes by a different criteria as you are discovering, Leon.  The solution is to plant the data into the standard field at the time it is called and then not change it.  But you didn't provide the calculation so we don't know if the calculation uses related fields, global fields, other unstored calculations ... and a proper response will depend upon whether the calculation can be indexed.

Auto-enter by calculation (leave checked 'do not replace existing value') or even lookup will handle all future records.  But FIRST, you will need to clean up the records you have.