1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 22, 2014 10:40 AM by philmodjunk

Can I change an external storage file and still have it linked to the database

VietLuu

Title

Can I change an external storage file and still have it linked to the database

When I create PDFs from my database, the file sizes are really large.  I have a picture container field and suspect it's mostly due to the file size of the picture that was inserted.  I have the field set to store images externally as open storage.  I've tried opening the stored file and reducing it and saving, but the link breaks.

Is there a way to change the file and keep the link?  I want to batch reduce all the images, but I'm afraid all the links will break.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Can I change an external storage file and still have it linked to the database
          philmodjunk

I don't see why the link would break. Can you describe what you have set up and what you are doing in more detail?

How did you open the stored file? Did you go directly to the folder where the file is stored and modify the file by opening it from there?

If so, that would explain what you have experienced.

You can use Export Field Contents to open the file and then re-insert the modified copy in order to change it.

Or you might try using the GetThumbNail function to set the container field to a downsampled copy of the file to reduce the image resolution to a smaller resolution. (Try this on a copy so that you don't mess something up if it doesn't work).

But I thought externally stored files--due to storing a file reference weren't supposed to result in a major file increase due to inserting large picture files into those container fields with external storage specified.

Wonder what would happen to your file size if you left your files unmodified and  did this instead:

Save a clone (no records) of your file.

Import all records from all tables into the clone

Compare file sizes between this new copy of your file and the original. Others have reported major changes in file size from this.