4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2014 10:32 AM by marco96

Can I change the tab names for just that one record?

marco96

Title

Can I change the tab names for just that one record?

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if there is a way to be able to change the name of a tab within a layout for just that one record.

In FM 10 I devised a workaround to make this possible. I created some text fields and made them clear and without boundaries and I placed them over the tabs and it worked. While creating the tabs all I had to do was make the first tabs name 1 space bar, and the second tab name 2 space bars and so on, so that the tabs had no names showing. So when I was in a record I can just click on the tab and type a name into the field and it looked like the tab had its own name.

When I converted my FM 10 file over two FM 13 the layout with my tabs doesn't work anymore. I can't click on the tabs anymore to bring them up. 

Is there another way to do this in FM 13 or does anybody know a workaround to achieve this.

Thanks for your help 

Marco

• 1. Re: Can I change the tab names for just that one record?
          philmodjunk

The same method should work in FileMaker 13. You may get a change in behavior after the file conversion as the fields may not be accessible from just any tab on your tab control if they become "owned" by a particular panel in the tab control.

You may have to remove the field from the tab control (to free it from the panel that currently owns it), then put it back while carefully checking field position to get the same behavior that you had in FM 10. I assume that you had the original file set up so that the fields where at least one pixel was outside of the tab control keeping them as part of the layout rather than an object owned by the tab control.

• 2. Re: Can I change the tab names for just that one record?
            marco96

Hello Phil,

It doesn't work the same. I tried it both ways. Leaving it out of the tab, which is what I did in FM10 as you said. But I can't get it to work in FM13. I tried it both ways. Leaving it all the way in that one tab or leaving it out a little. It is acting like the field is not clear. I can't click into the tab.

• 3. Re: Can I change the tab names for just that one record?
              philmodjunk

"I can't click into the tab" means what? That you can't select that panel of the tab control or can't click into the field?

In the screen shot shown, I used a contrasting fill color and made the fields taller than they need to be to show what I am talking about. The "test1" "test2" text shown was entered by me simply by clicking on the fields and entering that text. But to select the tab panel, I'd have to click outside of the borders of the field to do that.

If I place the fields so that they are owned by their respective tab panels, I can click once to select the panel and then click again to put the cursor inside the field to edit text. But now the fields disappear when the panel that owns them is not the front panel. I would use two copies of your tab panel, one located elsewhere where you edit the value and one placed with Browse mode access disabled to use as the visible tab label.

Caulkins Consulting, Home of Adventures In FileMaking

• 4. Re: Can I change the tab names for just that one record?
                marco96

Very nice, I can live with that.

Thank you again for all your help.

Marco