2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2009 9:32 AM by philmodjunk

Can I create a navigational menu

dinora

Title

Can I create a navigational menu

Can I create on filemaker a navigational menu that can be displayed on every table under the heading part -  Kind like on a website you see

Home|About Us|Contact Us| 

I want to have on filemaker an option to create a navigational bar where I can easy access different layouts without having to use the layout menu

So rather than creating buttons for every layout I am wondering if  I could create a global navigational menu that can be displayed on every layout and with that being said if I have to add a new item to the menu I just added once and it adds it everywhere in the database where I am using the navigational menu.

Kindly advise.

• 1. Re: Can I create a navigational menu
          TSGal

Dinora:

Thank you for your post.

Yes, you can set up a navigational menu.  You will need to set each grouping of words (Home, About Us, Contact Us, etc.) as a button.  You can copy these buttons and paste them onto any layout, and they will contain the button information when pasted.  However, if you add a new navigation, you will need to copy it to each of the layouts you want it to appear.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Can I create a navigational menu
            philmodjunk

Dinora wrote:

Can I create on filemaker a navigational menu that can be displayed on every table under the heading part -  Kind like on a website you see

Home|About Us|Contact Us| 

I want to have on filemaker an option to create a navigational bar where I can easy access different layouts without having to use the layout menu

So rather than creating buttons for every layout I am wondering if  I could create a global navigational menu that can be displayed on every layout and with that being said if I have to add a new item to the menu I just added once and it adds it everywhere in the database where I am using the navigational menu.

Kindly advise.

Dinora,

I'll politely differ with TSGAL here. I think you are asking for a drop down menu for selecting layouts instead of creating a button for each layout. If I'm wrong, follow TSGAL's advice. If you want a drop down menu for navigating between layouts, do the following.

Define a value list listing your layouts.

Define a global text field, gLayout.

Place this field on your layouts and format it to use the above value list so that it can function as our drop down menu.

Write a script:

Go To Layout[Table::gLayout] (Use the layout name by calculation option)

IF you are using FMP 10, you can set up an OnExit script trigger for this field that performs the above script. If you are using an earlier version, put a small button to the right of the menu, set it up to perform this script and label it "Go" or some such descriptive text.

You can place this menu on every layout you want and can keep all of them updated simply by updating the value list definition.