1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 8, 2011 8:45 AM by philmodjunk

Can I create a text file (or other format) in FileMaker Pro?

Title

Can I create a text file (or other format) in FileMaker Pro?

Hello,

Is it possible via the included FMP functions where I could scan through a table and write records to an external text (or other format) file?

It would be great if I had the low-level file functions available in other database products.

Not sure what my options are here, but I'm looking for more control than just being able to export to Excel via automating a menu.

Perhaps I have a custom format a client expects where I have to write a file header followed by some data records -- and I have do be able to do this manually in a script.

Is this possible in FMP?

Thanks,

-- m

• 1. Re: Can I create a text file (or other format) in FileMaker Pro?
          philmodjunk

Your options are to export records to a text format such as merge, Tab or CSV. This exports the found set, so you may need to isolate the desired records in a found set before exporting. You can then specify which fields will be exported, but the choice will be the same fields for each exported records.

Or you can use Export Field Contents to export the contents of a single field, but there's no built in ability to merge the data into a single file from multiple exports so you'd need to combine the data in a single text field prior to using this method.

Both of these options can be done manually or in scripts.