6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2013 12:16 PM by philmodjunk

Can I do a sbu-Summary with in a Sub-Summary?

Kirk_1

Title

Can I do a sbu-Summary with in a Sub-Summary?

I have large files i need to break down  (1500-2500 records),

The sub summary i have now breaks it down by dates. I sort it by the date and then by state.

I want it to be able to see it like an outline...

DATE

State: CA

State: FL

State: NY

Ill make decisions based on how many are going to a particular sate on that date or one or two days out... i can see it now with the current sort but want it to be more intuitive with cost and counts associated with state.

• 1. Re: Can I do a sbu-Summary with in a Sub-Summary?
          philmodjunk

I'd need a clearer picture of exactly how your data is structured in the underlying table but this looks like you need two sub summary parts one above the other. The upper part would be sorted by Date and the lower by state. The same summary field placed in the upper sub summary part, if you need it there will display a value based on all records of that date. Put it in the lower sub summary part and you get a total for that state for the date shown in the upper sub summary part.

You'd then sort your records first by date, and then also by state.

And you can remove the body layout part altogether if you don't want to list individual records associdated with the "inner" sub summary part.

Note that with multiple sub summary parts, you can get very different reports on the same layout just by changing the sort order. You can actually have a half dozen sub summary parts on your layout and just have a few of them visible in any given report just by controlling what fields are specified in your current sort order.

• 2. Re: Can I do a sbu-Summary with in a Sub-Summary?
            Kirk_1

Im still missing something.

The layout presents it by date, with the irecords by state but...

for example the 3rd has 72 records, the current layout presents 14 records...14 states.

Its not showing me records with in the state. Its showing me 1 FL I know there are 52 for FL on the 3rd...

How do i show the 52 for FL?

• 3. Re: Can I do a sbu-Summary with in a Sub-Summary?
              philmodjunk

I need a clearer picture of exactly how your data is structured in the underlying table

How are your tables set up for this data? If more than one table, what relationship links them?

It is not clear what you mean by:

for example the 3rd has 72 records, the current layout presents 14 records...14 states.

• 4. Re: Can I do a sbu-Summary with in a Sub-Summary?
                Kirk_1

Im using it as a what if, so it is the only table.

• 5. Re: Can I do a sbu-Summary with in a Sub-Summary?
                  Kirk_1

This is the layout mode...

• 6. Re: Can I do a sbu-Summary with in a Sub-Summary?
                    philmodjunk

Then to get what you show in your earlier example, you'd set up a layout like this:

Sub Summary "when sorted by Date" (Date shipped? ETA? you have several date fields here...)
                         Sub SUmmary "when sorted by state" (again your screen shot does not make clear which field that this is)

And the body layout part would be removed.

In the sort records dialog you'd then set up this sort order:

Date FIeld
                         State Field

so that your records are grouped first by the date and then, within that group groups them again by state.

For more on summary reports, this tutorial may be helpful: Creating Filemaker Pro summary reports--Tutorial