13 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2011 3:28 PM by Dennisyang

Can I do this for a printing report?

Dennisyang

Title

Can I do this for a printing report?

I really need help with this. I am working on a scheduling project and here is what I got. For each member we are assigning some work for them different day and different time.

For example: John have a schedule A from 8:00AM - 10:00AM.  On May 16 he need to work at 6th floor.  For May 17 he will have a schedule B 11AM - 12PM and he need to work on the 7th floor.

I need a print out with all the schedule and the work he is assigned to.

I got Name of the person on 1 layout with an ID. I got a schedule layout with the time and the ID.

I will need filemaker to generate me a report that can list the schedule of John like this

Hi  [John], 

Here is your schedule      

[May 16]: [Schedule A] from [8:00 - 10:00AM]

[May 17]: [Schedule B] from [11-12PM]

[Date]: [Schedule] from [ time]

Thank you

How can I set it so that all the record related to John's schedule will appear ?

Content within [] should be from record

• 1. Re: Can I do this for a printing report?
          philmodjunk

It can be done but we need more detail about what you have here.

Are "Schedule A" and "Schedule B" specific records that could be assigned to any number of workers on any number of different days to describe a specific time interval that they will be at work or are these records unique to one date/time for one specific worker?

Example: Might the report show that "John" is scheduled to work "Schedule A" on both May 16 and then again on May 17?

• 2. Re: Can I do this for a printing report?
            Dennisyang

Hi Thank you very much for helping. Yes for your question but the more complicated part comes. I hope I can explain this good enough

For Schedule Table I got these record

1. Schedule A  From 8AM - 2PM

2. Schedule B  From 9AM - 3PM

3. Schedule C From 10AM - 4 PM

For Timeframe table I got these record

1. 9AM - 10 AM    

2. 10AM - 11AM

3. 12PM - 1PM

4.  1PM - 2:15PM

5. 2:15PM - 3:15PM

6. 3:15PM - 4PM

I also have a worker table with their name, and the schedule they have. 

I have another table for job list which should be my main table. 

My first question is: 

What is the script that I can use so that Filemaker will tell me  when I have a job on 6th floor and i need the timeframe on 4 (1PM - 2:15PM).

The drop down list for available staff to choose from will be base on the schedule they have? Is this kind of like a sort list?

My second question is my first post: 

After inputting all the record for job, I will need a print out for each staff their schedule for the week. Here is more a detail of what I need. 

Dear [John]

This is your schedule for this week.

Date: [May 23]

[Schedule A]  from [9AM - 10AM]

Date: [May 24]

<--- if they have two job for the same day, it should appear too but without the date? is it possible --->

Date: [May 25]

[Schedule B]  from [9AM - 10AM]

[Schedule B]  from [12AM - 1AM]

Date: [May 26]

[Schedule C]  

Continue if more job...

It seems to me that there is alot of coding but I am not sure if filemaker can do this. 

Thank you very much. 

• 3. Re: Can I do this for a printing report?
              philmodjunk

We're getting there, but you have a lot of different tables you'll need to properly link in order to produce your report:

Do you need to assign more than one employee to the same job on your job list? Or is it always one employee, one Job?

Before you start assigning employees to your jobs, I picture the job list records as having the following data in each record:

Job_Date
              Job_Location
              Job_Description
              Job_TimeFrame

Does that look correct?

Your schedules look like what I would call "work shifts". Are employees assigned to a "work schedule" for a specific time or can you assign them to different schedules on a day by day basis?

• 4. Re: Can I do this for a printing report?
                Dennisyang

A worker can have more job per day within their schedule. I got the report linked and I dont think therei s a problem with it. However, how can I create a time frame on my record? I dont see any field that can do a time frame though. Like from 9Am to 10 PM ? 

Yes the data is correct and one job can only have 1 employee working on them. The worker will have different schedule. 

For the Job data record, I should have a extra data 

Job_employee    <-- person that is working on the job. 

I want to create a list where if the empolyee is working on some job during that date and timeframe, that employee should be out of the list or at least gray out so that I know he is working on something already and he is not available. 

The list should also be sort according to the timeframe of the job and the schedule that the employee have. 

Once again, thank you very much for helping.

• 5. Re: Can I do this for a printing report?
                  philmodjunk

I realize that this post isn't going to provide you with everything that you've asked for. I'm taking this one step at a time so that you can redirect me if my suggestions take you in the wrong direction.

Tables:
                  Schedules
                  TimeFrames
                  Employees
                  JobList

Schedules::ScheduleID = JobList::ScheduleID

TimeFrame::TimeFrameID = JobList::TimeFrameID

Employees::EmployeeID = JobList::EmployeeID

With these relationships, you can format each of the above JobList fields with drop downs that list the ID field in column 1 and a name or description field in column 2.

Completing your schedule then becomes a matter of stepping through your JobList records and selecting an employee, Schedule and TimeFrame for each job list record. (If time frame is already determined at this point, you need just two drop down lists here.)

You can then produce a summary report of your Job List records after performing a find for a specific employee and range of dates.

You can put the date field in a sub summary field "when sorted by date" and sort your records by date, then by time frame Id to organize the records into a list that groups the job records by date under a common date heading.

• 6. Re: Can I do this for a printing report?
                    Dennisyang

The report I need to print will be for all the staff not just particular one. Sorry for so many question that I am having here. The most important one here is the report.

Lets assume I have everything linked and working and all the record are inputed.

I will need to print out a work schedule for all the staff that I have according to this format

Dear [John]

This is your schedule for this week.

Date: [May 23]

Date: [May 24]

<--- if they have two job for the same day, it should appear too but without the date? is it possible --->

Date: [May 25]

[Schedule B]  from [9AM - 10AM]

[Schedule B]  from [12AM - 1AM]

Date: [May 26]

[Schedule C]  

Thanks

• 7. Re: Can I do this for a printing report?
                      Dennisyang

Okay, I finally got it done by using a portal. But then I got in to another problem. 

It is another report that I want to print according to staff 

I want a script that can say,  

If during time_frame 9AM - 10 AM , Employee have a job then display the job. If not then leave blank. 

Is there such a script that can do that? 

Thanks

• 8. Re: Can I do this for a printing report?
                        philmodjunk

The same report layout can be used to print out this report for just one employee or all employees. The difference is in which records you find before you print.

You can base your layout on the JobList table and you can then add fields to this layout from each of the related tables as needed to fill out this report. As I indicated earlier, you can use Sub Summary parts to group the records by day as you indicated that you wanted.

• 9. Re: Can I do this for a printing report?
                          Dennisyang

okay.. got it all working... 

Thank you very much for your help. But for the last question 

I got 2 table and that is similar... both containing staff.   for the first table, If I created a new staff I want the 2nd to also create a new staff.. 

Is there a better way to do it without script? If not, what kind of script can I use? 

Thanks

• 10. Re: Can I do this for a printing report?
                            philmodjunk

You should only have one table for staff. Why do you have two?

• 11. Re: Can I do this for a printing report?
                              Dennisyang

So it is better for me to put 2 of them just in one table right? 

i will try and see if it works... 

That is what I thought of too. 

Thanks

• 12. Re: Can I do this for a printing report?
                                philmodjunk

Exactly, multiple tables to hold the same type of records is an approach that can result in a lot of problems for you.

Keep in mind that you can have multiple "table occurrences" (boxes) in Manage | Database | Relationships that refer to the same table as defined on the tables tab of Manage | Database.

• 13. Re: Can I do this for a printing report?
                                  Dennisyang

Yeap..

once again, thank you very much for helping.