2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2009 6:01 PM by TKnTexas

Can I do this with Filemaker?

juliep

Title

Can I do this with Filemaker?

Our organization uses FileMaker Pro 8, so I am only familiar with the basics of how to look up or add information.  I have never created a database.  I plan menus for large group camping trips and I would like to know if it is possible to create the following..

I want something where I can type in the number of participants for a program, how old they are, how many staff we have, how many days for the program, how many meals they need, and maybe a couple other things.  Then I want to tell the program I want this, that, and the other meals and it will magically spit out a menu and food buy list for the correct number of people.  Can I do this with Filemaker?  I'm trying to make this process more user friendly.  It takes me quite a while to do it now.

What I have now is an Excel template that has tabs for breakfasts, lunches, and dinners.  The food quantities for these meals depend on the participant number that I input.  Creating the actual program menu and food buy list involves a lot of copying and pasting and room for error.  

Any help is appreciated!

• 1. Re: Can I do this with Filemaker?
          philmodjunk

Can Filemaker Do this?

Yes

The important question: Can you use filemaker to create the solution you want?

Don't know. It depends on how much time you want to invest in designing a database to meet your needs.

Filemaker is a tool for creating databases. Unless someone has already used filemaker to create the database you need, you'll have to sit down with Filemaker's "blank page" and create the database. That can involve a considerable time investment learning how to create a solution of the complexity you describe. Are you prepared to do that? Given that you have created what sounds like a spreadsheet with a moderate level of complexity, it sounds like its possible for you to create what you want if you're prepared to spend the time learning how to do it.

You might want to download Filemaker's free trial copy and try it out to get a feel for what you are getting yourself into.

• 2. Re: Can I do this with Filemaker?
            TKnTexas
               I have found that if I have a working solution in Excel, I can follow the logic and calculations existing there.  Using the Trial you can try it for one meal period to get an understanding.  Later you will find you can have all three meal periods in the same table.  Good luck with it.  This forum is a great resource.