2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2013 11:18 AM by djs_1

Can I drag and drop MULTIPLE files to a single Container?

djs_1

Title

Can I drag and drop MULTIPLE files to a single Container?

I noticed that when I have a Container field I am able to drag and drop multiple files from the OS into the field, however it only captures the first file. The cursor displays a number badge for the multiple files. I tried the same with a repeating field, but it behaves the same way on the selected repetition of that field.

It would save a lot of time to use drag and drop with multiple files. If I could capture multiple path names for the selected file, my script could then go out and import each file separately. Essentially, I want to easily create multiple records from multiple files. I can do so now through an import script for an entire directory, but would like to support drag and drop of MULTIPLE files for this instead of one file at a time. Is this possible?

• 1. Re: Can I drag and drop MULTIPLE files to a single Container?
          philmodjunk

It would save a lot of time, but it cannot be done.

It's one file to a container field.

You can set up a related table of records with a container field to store multiple files--each in their own container field, but your drag and drop of a group still cannot be done.

You may want to set up a folder on your desktop for this purpose, drag and drop your group of files into that folder, then  use Import Records with the Folder option to import your group of folders. This only works with image or text files, however. If you are inserting/importing files of other types, you'd need to use a script that inserts the files one at a time. This can be done with a looping script once you have a list of filenames inside fileMaker to use for the inserts. This is possible if your folder is located inside the documents folder, or if you use a plug in to list the files in a designated folder or if you use a system script to create thelist of files in a folder.

Also drag and drop embeds the file--stores a physical copy of it--in the container field. This is often not the best way to insert files into FileMaker databases due to the way this can make for very large database files.

• 2. Re: Can I drag and drop MULTIPLE files to a single Container?
            djs_1

Thank you very much for the answer. I was afraid this was the answer and I was hoping there was something I missed.