3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2009 10:36 AM by philmodjunk

Can I draw info from Parallels into a Mac based Filemaker environment

prjct

Title

Can I draw info from Parallels into a Mac based Filemaker environment

Hi everyone....I have a client, a doctor, who is mac based using FileMaker server in a small setting.  It seems impossible to purchase a medical card scanner for the mac so I am wondering if they can use a PC based card scanner with parallels and then draw the images into their filemaker database - it is being done this way in their mac environment - a .jpg scan go to a folder and then filemaker retrieves the images from that folder.

Anyone know whether or not this can be done?

Thank! 

• 1. Re: Can I draw info from Parallels into a Mac based Filemaker environment
          prjct
             geez......what a great forum this is.........
          • 2. Re: Can I draw info from Parallels into a Mac based Filemaker environment
            mrvodka

First you ask a question on the weekend when most people are not in the office. Second, you ask a question that is not a common setup for most. I dont know what you expected to happen.

Anyway, I dont see a problem in what you are proposing. If you use Parallels to capture the image where do you plan on storing the images? Are you even storing them in the container or just using a reference to them? If so, obviously you would need to have a common access to that location from all your client sessions.

• 3. Re: Can I draw info from Parallels into a Mac based Filemaker environment
              philmodjunk

If your medical card scanner scans a magnetic strip it may well be possible to get a mac compatible scanner. USB is a common interface for such hardwared and in keyboard emulation mode it would (I think) function identically for both platforms. You could place the cursor in your database field and the text from the mag strip would be read and entered into the field just as though a user had typed the text in.

A "post amble" can be programmed on many such devices to append text to the end of the scan. You can set up a script trigger (FMP 10) or simply pause the script in an endless loop (pre FMP 10) to detect the post amble text and thus respond to the scan action.