1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 8, 2009 9:58 AM by philmodjunk

Can I have FileMaker autofill fields from one database into another...?

daviator

Title

Can I have FileMaker autofill fields from one database into another...?

Hello,

I'm using FileMaker Pro 10, trial version, Windows XP Pro, Service Pack 3.

I want to be able to auto-populate fields from one Database (or Table) into another based on the business name I choose. (All names are 100% unique.) 

1. I have created a master database Called TEST1 (also tried with tables) by importing from a spreadsheet the basic info for my accounts: Name, Address, City, etc.
      2. I created a second database Called TEST2 where I track items related to those accounts. Some of the data will be the same such as name, address, etc.
      3. I created relationships between the two databases (tables) for common fields. I.e Name, Address, Phone, etc.
      4. For the NAME field on TEST2 I created a Drop-down field using the entries in the NAME field from TEST1 as a value list so all of my accounts are listed. This works perfectly.

BUT, No matter what I do I cannot get the related fields from TEST1 to populate in TEST2 when I select the account from the NAME drop down. The rest of the common fields in TEST2 remain blank.

I have tried Lookups and Portals. I have checked the box for "Allow creation of records in this table via this relationship."  in the Relationships tab.

Nothing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

David