4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2013 3:27 PM by Marie

Can I make spaces and returns visible in a data entry field?

Marie

Title

Can I make spaces and returns visible in a data entry field?

Hello-

I've searched high and low for an answer to this question.  I'm hoping one of the Filemaker rock stars on this forum can help! 

Does anyone know if there is a way to make spaces and carriage returns visible in a field?  In other words, I'd like to be able to easily see when extra space has been added.   Ideally, this would be like the Format/Style/Highlight function, but as far as I can tell, FM highlighting only highlights the text, not spaces/returns at the end of the text.  

Of course, you can see the extra carriage returns and spaces if you SELECT the text and spaces in the field (or SELECT ALL), but is there something that would create the same visibility without having to select it? 

I've seen FM Forum references to a Trim function, but I don't really want to restrict the field or run a script that eliminates the spaces, I just want to see where the spaces are.

Is there a solution?

Thanks in Advance,

M

(Running FileMaker Pro Advanced on Windows 7)

• 1. Re: Can I make spaces and returns visible in a data entry field?
          philmodjunk

There is no built in text format that will make spaces and returns visible.

One work around migth be to use the substitute function with a script that temporarily makes these invisible characters visible by substituting a different character in place of the spaces and returns:

Show Custom Dialog [ Substitute ( YourTable::YourTextFIeld ; [" " ; "_"] ; [ ¶ ; "°"] ) ]

With this, you could click a button and a dialog with your text pops up with the spaces and returns replaced with visible characters.

• 2. Re: Can I make spaces and returns visible in a data entry field?
            Marie

Thanks, PhilModJunk, for the quick and detailed reply! 

I appreciate the workaround idea, but I'm afraid that might defeat the purpose:  I'm trying to create an easy, natural and VISUAL way for our team to enter text and see extra spaces clearly...in real time.  One extra space has derailed reports and ruined formats.  I'm attempting to prevent that.

It's hard to believe that this powerful and customizable FileMaker program can't be tweaked to handle something so seemingly basic . 

So, there's really no way to have FM either a) recognize a space as a character or "thing" in the same way the Select tool recognizes it, or b) somehow control the fill color to be one color if it's behind text and spaces and another behind no text/spaces?

Are you sure you're sure?

Thanks,

M

• 3. Re: Can I make spaces and returns visible in a data entry field?
              philmodjunk

One extra space has derailed reports and ruined formats.

That seems very unusual.

With a lot of coding it might be possible to maintain two fields--one with the data as entered from the keyboard that is hidden from view and the edit box where the user is entering text where the invisible characters have symbol characters substituted. It would take the OnObjectKeystroke trigger and a fair amount of scripting to pull off to maintain full responsiveness to editing keys like the backspace.

• 4. Re: Can I make spaces and returns visible in a data entry field?
                Marie

OK--thanks PhilModJunk.  I guess I'm out of luck without lots coding. 

Thank you for your excellent--and patient--community service on these Forums!

M