4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2011 12:06 AM by LisaL

Can I Register more than one Contact at a time in Registration Template?

LisaL

Title

Can I Register more than one Contact at a time in Registration Template?

Hi, I'm using the Registration template for my database.  In the Events section/layout in the bottom half, there's a button that allows me to add Recipients/Contacts to a list of people who are registered--the button is named "New Registration."  When I click on it, a new window opens with a list of all of my Contacts, with the word Registration at the top.  I can click on one Contact to "register" that person, and then I'm jumped back to the Events section/layout.  Is there a way for me to click on a bunch of names in the Registration list to register them all at once, or do I have to click on them one by one, jumping between the Events layout and the Registration list window?

Thanks for any and all help--this forum is great!

Lisa L.

• 1. Re: Can I Register more than one Contact at a time in Registration Template?
          philmodjunk

As the template is currently designed, you are limited to selecting people one at a time. You'd need to modify the design of your database to support a method where you get a list of multiple people where you can make multiple selections at one time. Thus, it can be done, but only if you want to delve into the world of database development to do so.

• 2. Re: Can I Register more than one Contact at a time in Registration Template?
            LisaL

Hi, thanks so much for the swift reply.  I have modified the database a great deal--it's very different from the original template--but I don't know how to do this one thing.  Is there a web page or link you could point me to for help on this issue?

Thanks,

Lisa

• 3. Re: Can I Register more than one Contact at a time in Registration Template?
              philmodjunk

Don't know of one that specific.

I believe you have a many to many relationship. I don't have the events manager open in front of me, so my table names may differ from yours:

Events----<Events_Contacts>-----Contacts

If you save the current EventID in a global variable, $$EventID then go to a  list view layout (Once you have that working you can pop up the layout in a window as a later enhancement if you want) that lists your contacts with a single value checkbox field: selected, added to it. You can click the check boxes next to the names you want to add to the event. When done click a button to run this script:

Freeze Window
              Enter Find Mode[]//clear pause check box
              Set Field [Contacts::Selected ; "*"]
              Set Error Capture [on]
              Perform Find[]
              If [ Get ( Foundcount ) > 0 ]
                  Loop
                     Set Variable [$ContactID ; Value: Contacts::ContactID]
                     Set Field [Contacts::Selected ; ""] //clear checkbox field so that it won't affect things the next time you do this
                     Go To Layout [Events_Contacts]
                     New Record/Request
                     Set Field [Events_Contacts::EventID ; $$EventID]
                     Set Field [Events_Contacts::ContactID ; $ContactID]
                     Go To Layout [//go back to layout with check boxes]
                     Go To Record/Request/Page [next ; exit after last]
                   End Loop
              Else
                 Show custom dialog ["no contacts where selected for this event."]
              End If
              Go To Layout [//return to layout from which you started]

• 4. Re: Can I Register more than one Contact at a time in Registration Template?
                LisaL

Thanks so much, I'll try this.