3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2012 4:22 PM by philmodjunk

Can I save an Extended Found Set in Find?

PFilmGuy

Title

Can I save an Extended Found Set in Find?

FileMaker Pro 11 (novice user), Mac

Is there a way to save an Extended Found Set in Find? When I try to save one, I only get the last find in the set. I'm not a programmer and have not learned much in the way of writing scripts as yet.

If not, is there a way to search a field for more than one criteria with an "and" command or the like?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Can I save an Extended Found Set in Find?
          philmodjunk

If you are extending a found set, this would be an "or" type find, not "and". Example: Find all contacts with "Modesto" in the city field. Extend found set to include all contacts with "Ceres" in the city field is the same as saying "Find all contacts with Modesto OR Ceres in the city field...

This can be done without extending the found set. We did it for years before FileMaker added that feature.

Manually, it works like this:

Enter find mode
          Enter or select "Modesto" in the city field.
          Pull down the Records men and select "New Request".
          Enter or select "Ceres" in the city field.
          Perform the find.

Just to encourage you to try to learn scripting...

When you learn scripting, you'll find that a script to perform such a find can be structured to much the same pattern and this can open the door to handling complex finds in much more user friendly fashion as the user need not have to keep track of multiple find requests or perform repeat extend or constrain finds. With scripted methods, you also have the option to save the criteria used to perform a find in a different table so that a script can repeat the find by using the criteria in this other table to recreate the original find criteria.

• 2. Re: Can I save an Extended Found Set in Find?
            PFilmGuy

Thanks for the reply. 

What if I have need to find data from other fields as well? Example: I want data from the city field on two different cities, as you noted. Plus, I want data from two other fields in my "extended" found set. 

Can this be done/saved, or do I need to venture into scripting territory?

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Can I save an Extended Found Set in Find?
              philmodjunk

Yes. If the logic is "or" for each criterion, create a new request for each and enter the criteria. If the logic is "and", then you would enter that same criterion on each of the requests.

Example 1; Find all records with city = Modesto, city = Ceres, OR date = 1/31/2012

Do the above steps, then make one new request and enter 1/31/2012 in the date field.

Example 2: find all records where ( City = Modesto AND Date = 1/31/2012 )  OR ( city = Ceres AND date = 1/31/2012 )

Enter find mode and enter Modesto in the city field and 1/31/2012 in the date field

Create a new request

Enter Ceres in the City fiield and 1/31/2012 in the date field once again.

BTW, going back to your original method, performing a find and then using extend found set. Did you try saving the original find, then saving the extend find? I would think that would work as long as you ran the first saved find then the second to recreate the find.