1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 12, 2014 3:51 PM by philmodjunk

Can I use a portal to display 1 record from related table and still use it for new record creation?

tpoyner@creativetechs.biz

Title

Can I use a portal to display 1 record from related table and still use it for new record creation?

I'm creating a time entry tool for our staff. The main table is TTracker and it should have a record for each day that time is entered. Related to it is TRecord which are all of the different time records for each rep for each day (see attached screen shot of Relationships).

My original thinking is that I could use a portal in TTracker to display the related records in TRecord, but I've run into some undesirable behaviors that make me wonder if I'm approaching this the right way.

If I want to allow new time record creations (new TRecord records via the portal) from TTracker, I have to allow the portal display more than one record at a time. My reps would need to then scroll to the bottom of the portal to enter the next (new) time record. This feels a little clumsy to me. My preference would be to be able to have left/right arrows for scrolling through time records in the portal for the day and to have a "new" time record button to create a new TRecord event. I've not been able to figure out a way to do this using a portal. Is that possible? If so, would someone shed some light on how to do this or point me in the right direction? 

tim
           ---
           Timothy Poyner
           Creative Technology Solutions, Inc.
      www.creativetechs.biz
           Mobile: 574.527.3690
           Office: 574.268.2874

CTSi_TimeTracker_Relationships.png