4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2010 2:11 PM by Musoguy

Can I view 2 records in Browse Mode?

Musoguy

Title

Can I view 2 records in Browse Mode?

I am new to Filemaker. I am using Filemaker Pro 10 Advanced on a PC. I am creating a database which I will use for auditions, to fill in feedback about the people as they audition. However I am seeing 2 people at a time, and so need 2 records open at the same time. I have created the form that I want to use in browse mode, but cannot for the life of me figure out a way to see 2 records at the same time as I will be going back and forth between the two. I really don't want to create two people as one record as each person is numbered. Is this possible to do? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much in advance for any replies.

James

• 1. Re: Can I view 2 records in Browse Mode?
          hbrendel

Open a second window with the same layout. You can see different records in the two windows.

• 2. Re: Can I view 2 records in Browse Mode?
            LaRetta_1

You have another option ... 

You can try View As List.  Then your record indicator will show two records and you can scroll from one to the other easily. 

If using two windows, you can resize them and place them side by side, which is a good approach as well.  If you use this technique, be sure to protect from leaving both windows open after the User has finished otherwise you can end up with many open residual windows.  Tightly control (via script or script triggers) if using multiple windows so User doesn't keep opening new windows.

• 3. Re: Can I view 2 records in Browse Mode?
              Musoguy

Thank you both very much for your replys. They were both very helpful, and make sense to me. I'm trying to figure out which works best for me, and will post again when I figure it out. (Again, I'm new to Filemaker and as an advanced Excel user, it is taking me a while to get my head round a very different way of doing things). Thanks again,

James

• 4. Re: Can I view 2 records in Browse Mode?
                Musoguy

I think I am going to go with the dual window option as having the records side by side is ultimately easier for me to work with in this particular environment.

I do have a follow up question though. Each record starts with a number fiels that is automatically sequentially numbered as I create a record. With the dual windows I am now seeing (for example) record 1 and 2 at the same time. When I am finished with these records I will want to see records 3 and 4 at the same time, then 5 and 6 and so on. Is there a way to create a script I can assign to a button that will create 2 new records and then show them automatically in the 2 windows, instead of having to manually go into each window to change records using the rolodex? I could also (if easier) create all the records in advance and leave them blank so that the script just has to change the records being viewed.

So in other words is it possible to change what is on view in 2 separate windows with one button?

Thanks again for your help so far :)