3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2014 7:34 AM by richardsrussell

Can I Widen a Drop-Down List?

richardsrussell

Title

Can I Widen a Drop-Down List?

I've got a drop-down list that displays information from 2 fields. The left field is a 4-digit product ID code; the right field (the one we sort on) is the product title. All I can see of the latter are the first 24 characters. Unfortunately, since the product title begins with the category name (EG: "chalkboard") and then frequently starts out with a product type (EG: "self-standing") before getting into differentiating features like size and color, 24 characters do not suffice to distinguish between multiple products whose title starts the same way.

Is there any way I can make that drop-down list wider?

Too-Narrow_Drop-Down_List.png

• 1. Re: Can I Widen a Drop-Down List?
          richardsrussell

OK, Problem #2. That screenshot above looks to me like a box with blue lettering reading "This image or file is unavailable outside of the community. Please login to view it." But I am logged in. I had to be logged in to post the picture in the first place. Where's my actual screenshot?

• 2. Re: Can I Widen a Drop-Down List?
            philmodjunk

I can see it. To make the value list wider, you'd need to make the field formatted with the drop down list wider. If this is Filemaker 13, you might use the "hide when" property to hide the actual copy of the field formatted with the drop down and set up your current field as a button that uses go to field to enter that invisible field and drop down the value list.

• 3. Re: Can I Widen a Drop-Down List?
              richardsrussell

OK, now I can see it, too. Odd. I wonder what was going on before. I tried uploading the image in 2 different formats and got the same result each time. That's never happened before.

Anyway, to the substance of the issue, I'm still scraping together nickels for Version 13 but expect to have it by the end of the month, so it's good to know there's added incentive to put it to immediate use.