1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 21, 2014 10:50 PM by philmodjunk

Can I write a script that merges information into only certain cells

networkyou

Title

Can I write a script that merges information into only certain cells

I have 20 excel spreadsheets that have been acting as different databases. "Joe Blogs" may appear in 5 of these databases; which means I have duplicate information for "Joe Blogs" in these databases. 

What I am wanting to do is to create a new FileMaker database that has all of the information in one place. I understand that Joe Blogs will appear 5 times once I have imported all 20 excel spreadsheets into the new FileMaker database. 

What I need to know is if you can create a script that asks FileMaker to merge the information from column Z together for "Joe Blogs" only. So I don't have to copy and paste the information from column Z into the top record of "Joe Blogs", and then delete the other 4 records of "Joe BLogs". 

Please help!

• 1. Re: Can I write a script that merges information into only certain cells
          philmodjunk

I understand that Joe Blogs will appear 5 times once I have imported all 20 excel spreadsheets into the new FileMaker database.

This is not necessarily the case. It's possible to set up a table that automatically excludes duplicate values during the import process. And there are also other options that can be used--including a looping script that combines the data.

Which of numerous options will work best depends on your data and how it is structured in those excel tables.