- can i have the team list of players on a layout and have "on" "off" buttons next to each player to create a timestamp as they step on/off the court.
Yes, look into using portals as well as list view layouts as either could be used for this. Your buttons can simply update time stamp fields and create records as needed to log playing time.
- is it possible for me to have on the same layout next to each player a field showing their total time on court?
Yes, and there is more than one option for this. You can use a summary field or a calculation field that uses a relationship and the sum function to compute total playing time. The details one how to set this up will depend on your table and relationship design.
- is there an alternative to creating a new record each time a player enters the game?
Yes, but I think logging each court entrance with a new record records more useful data than just updating the same record over and over again. (I'd create a new record when they enter the court and log a time stamp in an "exit" field when they leave the court.) With a record for every time they enter the game, you can not only compute the total playing time, but also how many times they entered the game--a detail the coach might find useful.
- can i have a trigger button to start/finish each playing period so that i can get a qtr by qtr breakdown?
That's just another script where you click one button and log every active player's exit of the court in one script. A similar script can allow you to set up the starting or current line up in advance and then log them all in with a single click and with indentical time stamps.
coming back to this after earlier putting it in the too hard basket. i have attached a image of the database as it now sits. the database would be catering for a squad of 45 players of which only some play each game. information regarding matches is already pre entered(opposition, date ground of match). user just selects the game to be used. the key information needed by the user is the game time per quarter and overall game time.
my workflow would be something like this:
Pre-match Select players (20 matches played x 22 players used per match):
Goto layout based on match information
Have a portal that the list of players and then use a radio button to select who is playing
This then creates a record in the match selection table that shows match info and players selected ie rnd 1 jones selected, rnd 1 smith not selected
In Match interchange records
goto layout based on match information with a portal that has the selected players listed using a filter.
have a button that scripts for a new record with timestamp whenever a player enters the game (match records::on)
have a second button that enters timestamp for player exit in same record that was created (match records::off)
summary and calculation fields generate the time played per quarter/match
My problems at this point are:
i cant get a complete list of the players to show up on the portal in the match selection layout
i have tried on a dummy sheet but the create new record script creates a record with the wrong player id
i am not sure if it is the way that i have linked the tables that is the problem
i hope this makes sense - any help greatly appreciated
Back to working on this and whilst it is pretty much as what i had earlier there have been a few tweaks as part of a bigger project.
Currently i have two problems that i cant seem to solve.
1.The summary fields a) arent updating and b) are the same for all of the players.
2. Players will come on and off in a random order. Currently I have a layout that has a portal with all the players on and have a scripted button to enter time on and off data. When i press the off button for any player it will only update the last created entry rather than the one that relates to that particular player. I have tried having it go to a related record but i am obviously not setting this up right.
Any help on these two issues would be greatly appreciated\