2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2010 2:55 AM by DLG

Can No. of report pages be determined by amount of text in text Field?

DLG

Title

Can No. of report pages be determined by amount of text in text Field?

Hello,

I am new to FMP and have inherited a FMP11 3000 record research database that prints a 1 page report for each record. The last field of the record is a text field  called  "Notes" that may  contain say 60 words or 600 words. What i am unable to do is to get FMP to print a single page when there is a small amount of text in Notes but print on two pages when there is a lot of text. At moment I am forced to make the report form 2 pages in size such that all records print on 2 pages, regardless of amount of text in "Notes", which is far from eco friendly.  I have looked at sliding fields but not really got anywhere with them.I must be missing the obvious but can it be done simply and if so how?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

DLG

• 1. Re: Can No. of report pages be determined by amount of text in text Field?
          philmodjunk

Unless the field is formatted with a monospaced font such as Courier, you can't compute the number of pages from the character count as the different characters have different widths.

A sliding field should work for you though you may have to adjust things a bit to eliminate a page break that splits a line of text in the field vertically.

What have you tried with your sliding field settings and how hasn't this worked for you?

• 2. Re: Can No. of report pages be determined by amount of text in text Field?
            DLG

Thanks PhilModJunk,

I have been confusing Shrinking and Sliding. Now see that whist you can not tell FMP to shrink a field, in setting up Sliding fields FMP will shrink the fields a well as move them. Up to now have only set "Notes" field to Slide up, the result is that Notes field,  when printed out, is still truncated. Looks like i need to set all fields to Slide up and look at page breaks with in FMP Reports. 

DLG