4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2010 10:48 AM by paulhaas

Can not delete a file reference that is corrupted.

paulhaas

Title

Can not delete a file reference that is corrupted.

I am using FileMaker 8.5 Pro and I can not delete a series of corrupted file references.  They show up a blanks, but can be sorted. 

File_Reference.png

• 1. Re: Can not delete a file reference that is corrupted.
          philmodjunk

Do you have a backup copy that doesn't show this? (You may need to import your current data into a clone of your backup)

Have you tried saving a compacted copy of your file?

You might want to run a recover on your file to see if any other problems exist besides the corrupted file references.

Best practice for dealing with a damaged file is to replace it with an undamaged copy if at all possible.

• 2. Re: Can not delete a file reference that is corrupted.
            paulhaas

A running the backup is not a good option as it has been a couple of weeks since I created the bad entries and I don't want to loose that data.   I was trying create a shortcut to other files using a button.  I have done this many times with no problem, but suddenly it started causing problems. 

I will get the system admin to try and compact the file and other diagnostic that i can not do.   Let you know if it works.

• 3. Re: Can not delete a file reference that is corrupted.
              philmodjunk

"A running the backup is not a good option as it has been a couple of weeks since I created the bad entries and I don't want to loose that data. "

1. I think you misunderstand. I'm not suggesting you run a back up. Instead, do this:
              2. Open the backup copy
              3. Choose Save a copy as... | Clone to get a copy of your back up with no data
              4. Open this clone and use Import records to import all data from your current copy of the file.

This pulls all your most current data into a backup that pre-dates the creation of these problem file references. Note that you will also likely need to reset one or more serial number fields either manually or in a script so that new records in your file have the correct next serial values and not values that match one of your existing records.

• 4. Re: Can not delete a file reference that is corrupted.
                paulhaas

I understand now.  I will pass that along to the system admin as I do not access to do it myself.  Thanks.