10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2009 8:22 AM by vermont_1

Can not move fields in my layout

vermont_1

Title

Can not move fields in my layout

A few months ago we transitioned from FMPRO 5 to 10.  Operating system is PC with Windows xp.

We have three main databases that we use.  On two of the  three, I can't move fields around as I please.  I get a circle with a slash icon when I try to move them.  The only way to move the field is to use the arrow keys, or copy and paste!  The field itself is not locked.  I think it has something to do with the background area that I am moving it to.  The background is either just the original gray background or it is a new box that I made to be a visual division.  I've racked my brain as well as the internet looking for an answer, but can't find anything...I'm still hoping it is something obvious that I am overlooking ;)

Thanks for the help.

• 1. Re: Can not move fields in my layout
          philmodjunk

Try describing your layout in greater detail.

I can interpret "The background is either just the original gray background or it is a new box that I made to be a visual division." in more than one way.

Is this a standard blank layout with header, body, footer?

Is it layout that prints in more than one column? (Check layout setup | Printing)

• 2. Re: Can not move fields in my layout
            vermont_1

It is not a layout that we would print nor is not set up to print more than one column in layout settings.  It is the page used for client info.  It is full of many fields and we were used to moving stuff all around in fmpro5, in a sense it is a not very organized smorgasbord of information ;)  There is just a body, no header or footer.  One of the three databases is a similiar structure and we have no problem moving the fields wherever...

thanks

• 3. Re: Can not move fields in my layout
              philmodjunk

When you click on one of the fields you can't move, do you see black selection squares on the corners or grey?

If they're grey, the field is locked and that's why you can't move it. You can unlock the selected field and then move it.  (Lock and Unlock options can be found in the Arrange menu.)

• 4. Re: Can not move fields in my layout
                vermont_1

No, they are black.  I already checked that ;)  Plus, the issue is not that the field won't move, it is that I can't place it on certain areas by dragging and dropping (that is when the circle with a slash icon appears.) 

thanks!

• 5. Re: Can not move fields in my layout
                  philmodjunk

What I can't follow is what those "certain areas" are.

If all else fails, you might have a file with a corrupted layout.

• 6. Re: Can not move fields in my layout
                    vermont_1

Right, it is so hard to describe! 

Although, you gave me an idea when you asked about printing.  Our layout is much wider than a page size and so I figured out that the only time I have trouble moving fields is when they are past the page line.  So...is there a way to over-ride that?  Or do I have to keep my pages smaller?  Like I said before, our layout on this particular page is set up for a computer screen since it is not something we would print. I have an image of the screen, but don't know how to attach it here.  If you need to see it, send me an email: vow at voga.org and I'll send it to you.  

I think we are close! Thanks!

• 7. Re: Can not move fields in my layout
                      philmodjunk

To make an image visible on this forum, you have to upload the image to a filesharing site and then include the link (either chain or tree icons) in your post. Not very convenient, but that's what Filemaker chose to do.

Is this "print line" a vertical line or horizontal? (Both can exist on a given layout.)

If it's horizontal, simply use the mouse to click on and drag the bottom edge of your layout part to make the part larger. Then you'll be able to drag your layout objects down to this new location.

• 8. Re: Can not move fields in my layout
                        vermont_1

The print line is the size of the body which is the size of a printable page.  I can get it to drag smaller and longer but not larger.  Is there a way to make the body bigger? In other words, can the body be bigger than a page size?  I am convinced that is the solution.  In the database that does not give us a problem, the body is the size of the entire screen.  Maybe this was something that we were only able to do in fmpro5, but I hope not! 

My ideal situation would be to have a wide enough layout so that I can see and enter a lot of information on my wide monitor instead of having to scroll down all the time!

• 9. Re: Can not move fields in my layout
                          philmodjunk

I take it you can't drag items to the right of the vertical page break line?

Sounds like your layout is corrupted.

You should have no trouble placing layout objects anywhere on the body. The page break lines just tell you what will show on the first page of your printed report. Objects to the right of this line will not be printed but should be visible in browse mode.

You may have to replace your current layout with a new layout.

• 10. Re: Can not move fields in my layout
                            vermont_1

I searched the forum for adjust body and found a thread that said to go into view and unclick page margins...it worked!

Thanks for your efforts!