1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 25, 2014 8:57 AM by philmodjunk

Can one use multiple relationships to display alternate values in a portal?

RichardMolnar

Title

Can one use multiple relationships to display alternate values in a portal?

I have a project with a main table, and several related tables.  

It is convenient to have 2 different related tables (call them R1 and R2) for items which are similar, but have some differences.  

But I want to be able to display in the main table (call it T1) , via a portal, the related records from one, or the other related table R1 or R2.  (No related record appears in both R1 and R2)

I think what this means is that I want a relation which is the union of a one-to-one relation T1  <--> R1 and T1 <--> R2,

and have the portal display whichever record is relevant (determined by a tag).

Is this possible?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Can one use multiple relationships to display alternate values in a portal?
          philmodjunk

Using just one portal, you can get the results you want, but not with the data model that you describe. The key phrase that I am focusing on:

items which are similar, but have some differences

What you need is a single unified table of these items. There are two basic ways that you can handle the "some differences". With all of the data in one table, you can add a field with a value that identifies whether the record is part of the group you currently have in R1 or is in the group you currently have in R2. To handle the "differences", you can either use fields in this table that are empty for R1 record but not for R2 (and vice versa) or you can link in some "detail tables" that only have the fields needed to handle those details that differ between R1 and R2.

But you can also set up a portal to R1 and  Portal to R2 on different panels of a Tab control or Slider and then just click to change panels to see either R1 or R2 records.

That outlines 3 different possible approaches that you can explore. I can't recommend one option over the other from the information currently found in this thread.

Caulkins Consulting, Home of Adventures In FileMaking