5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2011 4:08 PM by PhillipMay

Can only enter 1 item in a value list.

PhillipMay

Title

Can only enter 1 item in a value list.

Product: FileMaker ProVersion:11.3 (trial).

Operating system version: W7pro/64bit.

Description of the issue: Can enter only 1 item in a value list because the carrage return closes the dialog box leaving only the one (first) item.

Steps to reproduce the problem: Create a value list for a drop down aero entry on a field in a form. Type items into custom value list text box followed by a carrage return (enter key) for each seperate line.
      Expected result:Carrage return should start a new lineActual result:Carrage return (enter key) closes the dialog box.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear: None.

Workaround: Link the drop down list to a field in a related table.

Has anyone had similar issues and found a way to fix it?

• 1. Re: Can only enter 1 item in a value list.
          philmodjunk

I don't see that as broken. Since you can only see one selected value in the field in most cases, it can confuse the user to select several values, but only display one in the field.

You can hold down the shift key and select more than one value if it's a pop up menu. You can use a check box group. And you can use the drop down list with a global field separate from your data field and a triggered script to append the selected value to text already in the field.

• 2. Re: Can only enter 1 item in a value list.
            PhillipMay

Dear PhilModJunk

"I don't see that as broken. Since you can only see one selected value in the field in most cases, it can confuse the user to select several values, but only display one in the field.

You can hold down the shift key and select more than one value if it's a pop up menu. You can use a check box group. And you can use the drop down list with a global field separate from your data field and a triggered script to append the selected value to text already in the field."

You have obviously missunderstood my problem. The issue is with creating the list (list meaning more than one item). Creating a "value list" using "custom values" is useless if you can only enter one item for the drop down to access. Also if you view the online video tutorial this fuction is demonstated working properly, which it does not do for me.

Thanks for your input, hope this clarifies.

• 3. Re: Can only enter 1 item in a value list.
              philmodjunk

I've created custom value lists for years in many versions of FileMaker and on both platforms. Pressing the return key to start a new line to enter a new custom value has always worked for me.

The Enter key next to numeric key pad, on the other hand will close the dialog. Make sure that you press the return key (I know it's labeled enter on a windows keyboard) and this should work for you.

• 4. Re: Can only enter 1 item in a value list.
                PhillipMay

"'ve created custom value lists for years in many versions of FileMaker and on both platforms. Pressing the return key to start a new line to enter a new custom value has always worked for me.

The Enter key next to numeric key pad, on the other hand will close the dialog. Make sure that you press the return key (I know it's labeled enter on a windows keyboard) and this should work for you."

Absolutly positivly pressing the carrage return key labeled enter on the key board, no confusion with the enter key on the number pad.

• 5. Re: Can only enter 1 item in a value list.
                  PhillipMay

My keyboard (laptop) must have some relationship between the numlock key and the carrage return key, even though the number pad enter key is a seperate key. Turning numlock off corrected my problem

thanks for giving me a clue PhilModJunk

Phillip B May