7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2011 12:08 PM by ClaudeDupre

Can priviledges be set so that user only has access to their specific records

Pamela2701

Title

Can priviledges be set so that user only has access to their specific records

I have a company wide contact data base where I have assigned certain clients to a certain salesperson.  I would like it to be that when that sales person logs on they are only permitted to see and modify their own records.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

• 1. Re: Can priviledges be set so that user only has access to their specific records
          ninja

howdy Pamela2701,

Thanks for the post.

You are asking about Account Priveleges. These can be handled via calculation in this case.

First, you'll need a field (UserField) on each record set to the account name of the person who is allowed to see it.  Working back into existing records may be a pain, but going forward, simply set the "Userfield" to Autoenter the calculation "Get(AccountName)"

Then set the Record Priveges to "Custom Privileges..." and you'll get a list of your tables in a new window.

Select the table whose records you want to limit, select the "View" dropdown at the bottom, and choose "Limited..."

In the calculation, put:

Userfield = Get(AccountName)

Then click OK a bunch of times and you're home free.

You might want to attach a "find" script to run on startup, or add a "Find Mine" button to the layout to search for that person's records (Find AccountName in UserField).  Otherwise people will be looking at a bunch of blank records...this gets annoying quickly.

This works...did I explain it well enough?

• 2. Re: Can priviledges be set so that user only has access to their specific records
            Pamela2701

Ninja, thank you so much for the reply. I first want to apologize for my lack of experience, I have not yet used Privileges to date and am unsure of your instructions.  When you say set the Record Privileges to "Custom Privileges" I do not see that specific terminology.  I know I go to Accounts & Privileges then do I go to Accounts, Privilege Sets or Extended Privileges? Also, now that I see Accounts, will I have to set up a new account?  Right now I have Admin and Guest, I am assuming the defaults.

Again, thank you so very much!

• 3. Re: Can priviledges be set so that user only has access to their specific records
              ninja

howdy Pamela2701,

thanks for explaining your learning stage, I made an incorrect assumption.

In order to let people only see certain records, FMP has to be able to figure out who is on the computer.  This is done by giving every user you want to restrict their own account.  The way stacked privileges go, the "Guest" account will end up seeing almost nothing (otherwise your salespeople will just log into the "guest" account and spy on each other).

Most of your folks will have the same level of privilege, but it will be a customized Privilege set that we'll build together.

Forget all about extended privileges for the time being.

If you have Mary Smith as a salesperson, set up a salesperson privilege set:

File>Define(or Manage)>Accounts & Privileges

Privilege set tab

New...

Name it "Salespeople"

leave it for now...we'll come back to it.

Set up an account:

File>Define(or Manage)>Accounts & Privileges

Accounts tab

New...

account name = msmith

password = "Password"

check user must change password

Privilege Set = "Salespeople"

Click the "Edit.." button next to it and we'll pick back up on the Privilege set...

In the "Edit Privilege set" window, on the mid left hand side, there are drop down lists.  The top one (in FMP8 anyway) is "Records", this is what I was talking about in my first post when I said "Record Privileges".  Then pick up on my first post and see how you do.

Look through the rest of the major privilege categories (layouts, vlaue lists, scripts) and set as appropriate...you didn't ask about these so I'll keep this down to a 40 page novel...and MAKE SURE to check the box allowing the user to change thier password...you just required them to up above.

Remember, take the time to understand each step.  A database needs a brain behind it just as much as the computer, so think it thorugh and ask as many questions as you want.

• 4. Re: Can priviledges be set so that user only has access to their specific records
                Pamela2701

YOU ARE BRILLIANT!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!

My story is I have used FM in the past, actually before it became "Pro", I dabbled in it again in version 6, then again in 8.5 and now it is at 10! It is a little overwhelming but fun at the same time.

Thank you for the permission to ask questions, I am sure I will be asking a lot.  The good news, I consider myself a quick study and if I have done it once I can do it again.

Again, thanks so very much for your help.

• 5. Re: Can priviledges be set so that user only has access to their specific records
                  Pamela2701
                     Something just came to mind, what if one of my sales team forget their password, how do I retrieve?
                  • 6. Re: Can priviledges be set so that user only has access to their specific records
                    ninja

Hi Pamela,

I can't believe its been so long since I've been "off the grid", and I assume you've gotten the answer to your question by now.  Just in case you didn't:

Don't "Retrieve" their password.  You can "Reset" it.  Who would want to retrieve a password that they can't remember anyway, right?  And beyond that, who would want the administrator knowing their password? (Not like it matters...you're the admin.)

Under the account, you can simply over-write the existing password and let them know what it is...I tend to recheck the box forcing them to change it on first login so that I don't know what it is.  This saves them from coming to me and saying "I don't like my password, can you change it to _____?"

I hope this post wasn't needed...but if it was, I hope that it helps.

• 7. Re: Can priviledges be set so that user only has access to their specific records
                      ClaudeDupre

Good afternoon Ninja,

Thank you for your post.

I have an issue with the following instruction you gave about the userField when you say that to go back will be pain but going forward you can enter auto fill with user...

When I do enter manually the user name for the 200 records I currently have then change the filed to autofill I get a warning that all data will be replaced with the autofill calculation.

How can I go back and enter the userfield without changing it automaically?

Thanks

"