8 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2012 6:23 AM by user14040

Can RunTime access FileMaker Pro Advanced remotely

user14040

Title

Can RunTime access FileMaker Pro Advanced remotely

Can a runtime application in FM12 access FM Pro Advanced 12?  Right now i am using FileMaker Pro Advanced 11 and i and using Instant Web Publishing for Customers to access my databases from my home computer.  I want to get FileMaker Server but the cost to get Instant Web Publishing cost too much, i could swing getting FileMaker Server but not the advanced.

What would solve this problem is if the runtime solution could access FileMaker remotely. does anyone know if v12 allows remote access using runtime?

thanks

• 1. Re: Can RunTime access FileMaker Pro Advanced remotely
          Sorbsbuster

I agree with you over the cost - we have customers who are really pleased with our solutions and have allowed their customers access via IWP.  As their business and customers' interest grows they are bumping at the ceiling of 9 simultaneous users.  They can't believe that 'upgrading' to the Server actually removes features, and they can't justify the cost to jump to the Server Advanced just for one or two users.  It has been a regular stumbling block for us - potential customers always want to believe they will expand, and even explaining that backward step with Server makes them suspicious of Filemaker's commitment to scaleability, and we lose out to web developers.

Sorry; to answer your query: 'No, it can't in FM11, AFAIK, and I'll be amazed if they allowed it in 12.'

Why do you need Server?  Presumably to have more than 9 users?  How many more?  Can you split them into two groups, maybe: those who need live data, and need to create/edit etc, and those who need to browse only, and wouldn't mind if the data was 24 hours old?  You could let the first group carry on with your current FM Client-hosted set up, and let the other web-based users browse a overnight-taken copy.  Only works if both groups remain small in number, and it is a hassle compared to having upgrades which genuinely add features and not remove them.  You would need all the web-based group to be port-forwarded to one server, and all other access from outside to be true FM Client access, forwarded to your 'live' server.  or else you need two public IPs.

Yeah, you're right - too much hassle.

• 2. Re: Can RunTime access FileMaker Pro Advanced remotely
            davidanders

Filemkaer runtimes are single user applications and do not have any networking capabilities.

From a thread in another FMP Forum
            http://fmforums.com/forum/topic/69341-can-runtime-be-multi-user/

1. Differentiate between the database files and the database engine. In a runtime, FileMaker creates a crippled copy of the FileMaker Pro database engine. It is crippled in that it does not talk out. The database files themselves are given an affinity to that engine but in all other respects are standard FMP files and may be opened with a standard copy of FMP. If you have FM Advanced to create runtimes, you also have the provision to rename files back to .fp7 files.

So, with full copies of FMP 10, you can take these files, enable networking and run them over a network in that way.

2. No - The runtime files DO NOT run over a network as single user files.By this, I mean, you cannot put the runtime on one machine and then open it from another. To do this you are envolking sharing at the operating system level. This is NOT an accepted method of running FileMaker files and will eventually result in loss of data, and/or corruption of data and/or corruption of the files themselves. This is a dangerous practice.You usefull copies of FileMaker Pro on each work station and use Filemaker's native tunneling to network. See the manual or help sections on opening remote files.

You could, one person at a time, using VNC software, use the runtime from another machine. In actual fact, the runtime is still running on it's machine and you are just communicating with the screen from a remote computer.

3. FileMaker, using full copies of FileMaker Pro 10, will serve up to 10 people on a peer to peer network. For more than that you would require FileMaker Server to be serving the files.

4.FileMaker, using one copy of FileMaker Pro, can serve up to 5 people using instant web publishing. This has some design considerations in and of itself. Using both FileMaker Pro Server and Server Advance, you can serve up to 100 people using instant web publishing.

Google "Filemaker runtime limitations site:filemaker.com"
            https://www.google.com/search?q=Filemaker+runtime+limitations+site%3Afilemaker.com

• 3. Re: Can RunTime access FileMaker Pro Advanced remotely
              user14040

While writing this reply I cant find a single reason to upgrade to FM Server Pro Advanced, the customers I have that would access my database from the web are not going to access it all at the same time.  It was more of a convience because I currently have about 10 solutions opened at open time and I tested out the server and like that the files are opened in the background.  

Thanks, I would get Server Advanced but the price right now does not warrant it with my usage, FM pro 12 Advanced is a better choice.

It's a shame they dont allow FM Server instant web publishing (at least allow 5 users access at one time).  I could justify $1,000 but not $3,000 :-( 

Maybe they will change that soon.

• 4. Re: Can RunTime access FileMaker Pro Advanced remotely
                Sorbsbuster

David - "Using both FileMaker Pro Server and Server Advance, you can serve up to 100 people using instant web publishing."

Do you think that is right, that Filemaker Server can host IWP?  Was that specifically dropped for FM11?  Can you clarify for me how the 10 Pro users and 5 IWP users add up?  Could that be a max of 15, or do the 5 come off the 10?  Thanks!

• 5. Re: Can RunTime access FileMaker Pro Advanced remotely
                  Sorbsbuster

"I currently have about 10 solutions opened at open time and I tested out the server and like that the files are opened in the background.  " - not sure what you mean by that?

"I would get Server Advanced but the price right now does not warrant it with my usage, FM pro 12 Advanced is a better choice" - as a designer FMA is a boon, but it won't perform any differently than FMP for sharing.

• 6. Re: Can RunTime access FileMaker Pro Advanced remotely
                    user14040
                     What I mean is in server it list the files open and not actually have all Solutions opened on the desktop.  If I remember correctly You can open the solution as needed but all open Solution are in a tree format or something simular. Thanks
                    • 7. Re: Can RunTime access FileMaker Pro Advanced remotely
                      Sorbsbuster

Why not just hide the windows?

• 8. Re: Can RunTime access FileMaker Pro Advanced remotely
                        user14040

Doing that now, like the tree look a lot better.