10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2014 7:02 AM by SteveAshton

Can see Host but not File when Opening Remote Database File

harrisonsa

Title

Can see Host but not File when Opening Remote Database File

Hi, have just spent a couple of hours browsing posts with similar issues but cannot resolve the problem I am having. Here is the issue:

I have FM Pro 11 on 3 machines all connected to a home network.

The host machine is a Mac and I have 2 Windows 7 machines.

On the first Windows machine, disabling the firewall allows me to see and access a FMPro file on the Mac by using Open Remote. I have tried to change the firewall settings  butI can't seem to find a way to access the database while the firewall (Symantec AV) is turned on. This is not too big an issue as I do not intend to continue using FMpro on this machine if I can resolve the main issue below.

On the second Windows machine I can see the host Mac listed as a Local Host but there are no available files. This is so strange as I can't figure out what is different between the two Windows machines and why I cannot see the available files on the second machine. I have tried the following:

1. Disbling the firewall (Panda)

2. Checking for server.pem in the FilemakerPro11 folder

3. Ensuring sharing settings (HomeGroup Settings) match my other Wondows machine.

4. The 2 Windows machines can see eachothers files using Open Remote once the firewall is turned off on the first Windows machine

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• 1. Re: Can see Host but not File when Opening Remote Database File
          philmodjunk

I have tried to change the firewall settings  butI can't seem to find a way to access the database while the firewall (Norton AV) is turned on.

Check to make sure that port 5003 is opened for Filemaker. Quoting from FileMaker help:

Mac OS: If you are unable to share files on a local network, verify on the host computer that either the Mac OS Sharing firewall has been turned off, or that you have added an open network port configuration for port 5003 to the system sharing preferences. For more information about the Mac OS Sharing firewall and adding a network port configuration, see Mac OS Help

2. Checking for server.pem in the FilemakerPro11 folder

Have you tried replacing this file with the PEM file copied from the machine that does list the file in the Open Remote dialog? (sometimes it's present but corrupted.)

Is BonJour installed on both machines?

3. Sharing settings should not apply here as Filesharing is not used when you open the file via Open Remote and it is safest NOT to share the folder containing these files as attempting to open the file directy via the shared directory can damage the file if two users attempt this at the same time.

• 2. Re: Can see Host but not File when Opening Remote Database File
            harrisonsa

Thanks for the fast response!

Sorry if this is obvious, but where do I go to find out about whether port 5003 is open on the mac? Would this not affect both of the machines that I am trying to open the remote Db on?

I have tried replacing the .pem files from the Windows machine that does list the file in the Open remote but no effect.

Bonjour installed during the FMPro installation process on the machine that does not list the file. It was already installed on the other machine.

• 3. Re: Can see Host but not File when Opening Remote Database File
              philmodjunk

I'm not a Mac user so cannot advise. The help entry suggests looking this up in the Mac OS help that comes with your computer. This would, however, affect all machines attempting to access the file. I suggested this as an alternative to disabling the firewall as that's not something you usually want to do due to the increased security risk.

Here's an entry from help titled "Cannot see hosted database". You check it over for any factors you may have missed:

If the Open Remote File dialog box does not show a shared database that is being hosted over a network:
               •
              Make sure the host and client computers are correctly connected to the network. Refer to the documentation that came with your computer or ask your network administrator.
               •
              Host and client computers must use FileMaker 7.0 or later for IPv4 addresses, and FileMaker 10.0 or later for IPv6 addresses.
               •
              The file must be open on the host computer and sharing must be enabled. See Opening files as the host.
               •
              FileMaker Pro shows only the databases hosted on your local TCP/IP subnet. To open a database on a different TCP/IP subnet, in the Hosts dialog box, click Specify Host and enter the host computer's IP address or domain name.
               •
              If the client is outside your LAN's firewall, blocking must be removed from port number 5003 by your network administrator. (FileMaker Pro uses TCP port number 5003 to share databases.)
               •
              Windows:
               •
              Bonjour software is required in order to view hosted databases in the Open Remote File dialog box. Be sure that Bonjour is installed on your system.
               •
              Make sure you have only one network adapter installed for the protocol you are using. For details, choose Help menu > Resource Center, click FileMaker Knowledge Base, and search for keywords Host, Adapter, Network.
               •
              If you host FileMaker Pro files from a server with two or more network cards, FileMaker Pro broadcasts only from the card with ID 0.
               •
              Mac OS:
               •
              Make sure the FileMaker Pro application has not been moved out of the FileMaker Pro folder.
               •
              FileMaker Pro network hosts on a different subnet may not appear in the Local Hosts list in the Open Remote File dialog box. Consult your network administrator about the host and client subnet mask settings.
              • 4. Re: Can see Host but not File when Opening Remote Database File
                harrisonsa

Thanks, I will look into opening port 5003 a bit further but fairly confident that I have checked all of the other points listed. Will check again tomorrow with fresh eyes just in case.

• 5. Re: Can see Host but not File when Opening Remote Database File
                  harrisonsa

Just to update, I disabled the firewall on both the Mac and Windows machines but can still only see the host and not the files using Open Remote. Only difference between the two Windows machines is that the one that can open the remote file is Windows 7 Professional and the one that cannot open the remote Db is Windows 7 Home Premium. But I not sure that is even relevant.

• 6. Re: Can see Host but not File when Opening Remote Database File
                    philmodjunk

I don't think it's relevant. I can use my Windows 7 Home Premium lap top to access files via open remote without any trouble.

Is the method used to connect the machines to the database exactly the same? (Are they both connecting via ethernet cable or both connecting via wiFi...)

• 7. Re: Can see Host but not File when Opening Remote Database File
                      harrisonsa

Yes, exactly the same method. All 3 machines are connected via WiFi to a home network.

• 8. Re: Can see Host but not File when Opening Remote Database File
                        harrisonsa

Hi,

Update: I tried connecting the laptop that could not see the remote file directly to the modem and it worked! The question now is what could be causing the wireless to act differently?!

Thanks for all your help and advice!

• 9. Re: Can see Host but not File when Opening Remote Database File
                          philmodjunk

I'd consult with a network tech on that. My theory behind that suggestion was that a wireless connection might connect via a different router or via a wireless connection to the internet which would then function like attempting access to the database from a remote location rather than the local network. But this is not something on which I am well versed on.

• 10. Re: Can see Host but not File when Opening Remote Database File
                            SteveAshton

Hi Simon,

did you ever find out about the wifi and "hosts not showing" issues?

i have a similar problem. I am using an Apple  Airport base in one part of the office, and an airport express booster in the other part, and the files do not show up from the express in spite of the correct ip. Settings. 

Any information appreciated.