2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2009 9:15 AM by philmodjunk

Can the data in a filemaker pro d-base be kept seperate from the programm file (fp7)??

ahm

Title

Can the data in a filemaker pro d-base be kept seperate from the programm file (fp7)??

My programmer is making programming updates to my filemaker pro d-base and I would like him to be able to send me just the program update without having to send him my d-base file which contains all of my data. Is this possible?

• 1. Re: Can the data in a filemaker pro d-base be kept seperate from the programm file (fp7)??
          davidhead
             Yes it is possible. The technique in FileMaker Pro has been popularised as The Separation Model (or TSM). If you Google for that you will find some good references and discussions. As with all techniques, it has its pros and cons. You should make your own decisions about using it and be aware of the limitations.
          • 2. Re: Can the data in a filemaker pro d-base be kept seperate from the programm file (fp7)??
            philmodjunk

ahm wrote:
            My programmer is making programming updates to my filemaker pro d-base and I would like him to be able to send me just the program update without having to send him my d-base file which contains all of my data. Is this possible?

As usual, David gives you good information.

However, there may be a simpler way for you...

Instead of trying to separate the data from the programming, work with your programmer to set up an automated records import for your database. The general steps are:

1. Identify all fields that auto-enter serial numbers
            2. Write a script to import all records from each table in your current file into the new file.
            3. Add steps to this script that check and update the serial number settings for fields identified in step 1.

With scripted support set up for you, you can send your programmer a clone (no data) of your file. He modifies it as needed and sends the clone back to you.

You then click a button that automatically imports all the data from your current file and then updates any serial number settings.

If this is a large file, kick off this operation as you leave for the day/weekend and it should be ready to go when you return the next morning.